• Register Today It's free!

Noisy Engine - 1997 Ford Explorer

macgyvering

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Help! Trying to figure out what this noise is coming from my engine! The SUV has a small coolant leak and the check engine light comes on periodically, but other than that it has been running pretty well until this noise started a few days ago

I took a short video using my iphone to capture the sound:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine do you have? Where is the sound coming from(front/rear, right/left)? How would you describe the sound, metallic, slapping, pinging...etc

Have you ever had the timing chain, tensioners, and cassettes replaced? Sounds like the front one went south on you. There is a lot of info here, just do a search for 4.0 SOHC cassettes.

I would suspect the timing chain as well. Very common item to go wrong on those 4.0L. I would have it looked at if you don't feel confident that is the problem. If it ends up being the case then I've got the parts available for that year. You can check them out through the link below

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/TimingBelts/Ford/Explorer/-/-/1997

Sure sounds like the timing chain and while its only at that point I recommend changing the guides/cassettes and tensioners now before the chain really starts slapping and risk jumping time.

The mechanic said that it is an "internal engine noise." He thinks it is the timing chain. So, you guys have good ears!

Back