Noob questions re: speaker wiring harness colors for a '97 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noob questions re: speaker wiring harness colors for a '97

97-V8-AWD

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited
I just purchased a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX receiver to install in a '97 Explorer via a Scosche CFDK6 harness (uses the factory amp instead of bypassing). I'm also attaching a VBP3.0 parking brake bypass chip. I've just begun assembly of the wiring harness and have a couple of basic questions:

1) The Scosche harness power plug has a solid orange wire (dash light), an orange/white wire (dimmer) and an orange/black wire (dimmer ground). The receiver part of the harness only has an orange/white. So do I connect the two orange/whites together, seal the orange, and connect the orange/black to the other ground wires? Does this mean receiver will be dimming whenever my dash is dimmed ie when I'm using navigation at night, because that could be bad?

2) The other part of the wiring harness, the amp input plug, has 9 wires. It has the eight L/R speaker wires and an additional black/white wire with no explanation in the instructions ... is that another ground wire?

3) Relating to the two previous questions, it looks like I have 3-5 ground wires altogether. There is the black wire from the receiver, the black wire from the harness power plug, and the black wire from the parking brake chip which obviously all get twisted together. Do I just include the orange/black dimmer ground and/or the unidentified black/white wire from the harness amp input in that connection? If so, what is a good way to link up 4-5 wires securely like that since my posi-twist connectors barely can hold 3 together?

Thanks again for any help!

Just went ahead and capped off all orange wires as well as the the amp signal ground; worked like a charm and looks professional. Thanks for nothing Explorer forum!

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in '97 Explorer

Sorry you didn’t get your answer in 24hours. You are highly welcome to go, and never come back.

2250775A-90B0-4461-B046-A9B40EE61672.jpeg

Back