Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

normal operation or developing problem?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by jcasey007, June 18, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. jcasey007

jcasey007 Active Member

City, State:
    Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
    I'm not exactly looking for jobs to do on the Ex, but I want to know if i've got a developing problem.

1997 4.0 SOHC

So this is what I'm seeing.

With the OD off, cruising in top gear (about 50mph) I can feel the 1:1 clutch engage (which is good) and if I increase throttle the 1:1 holds and it accellerates.

if I lift off and coast, say down hill, the 1:1 clutch disengages, the revs drop and you do get engine braking. Should the clutch disengage?

when I resume the throttle and then lift off a little the 1:1 clutch again engages.

normal operation?

cheers

Jim

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Quakertown, PA
    2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
    The torque converter (1:1 clutch) disengages when you leave off the gas, it will also disengage if you tap the brake peddle. Sounds normal to me.

4. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer

We Support Our Troops!