Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

4.6 DOHC from a Lincoln, or Mustang? Nice job

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought about changing to a ST 2nd gen just so I could get a 5.0 modular going (until I found the price of them). Didn't think anything but Ford's smallest v8 engine could fit in that bay. I would be happy just to be able to fit some good headers in this thing!

You should throw in a 03-04 Cobra motor.

The teksid is better, all aluminum, capable of 1500 hp, readily available for less than your kidneys as payment.

Today's second update: got it retimed, runs a little better, but getting a code still. Didn't have the cmp plug on when I reprogrammed the ecu, so I think the code is coming from that. Gonna clear it again and run it. Still haven't found a location for the chip yet, the one location I did find interferes with the steering column cover. Was more concerned with the cmp and getting that fixed than messing with the chip at this point...

SVT

The teksid is better, all aluminum, capable of 1500 hp, readily available for less than your kidneys as payment.

Today's second update: got it retimed, runs a little better, but getting a code still. Didn't have the cmp plug on when I reprogrammed the ecu, so I think the code is coming from that. Gonna clear it again and run it. Still haven't found a location for the chip yet, the one location I did find interferes with the steering column cover. Was more concerned with the cmp and getting that fixed than messing with the chip at this point...

SVT

BTW, you are in my state, kind of long local, and get into a lot of things. Can you suggest where/how best to sell a pair of 99-2002 spec DOHC 4.6 heads?

I bought this pair from eBay from a kid with a 98 Cobra, who bought a 99-02 DOHC crate engine(long block), him not thinking of the different heads/intakes, COP etc. These are thus new parts, complete(ten year old springs). Poor UPS shipping broke one small corner from the back of one(A non important corner(with hole for some bracket)), and bent slightly 3-4 studs.

I ask because there is no comparable part to these. Ford only sells rebuilt heads since about 2005, and with no valvetrain except valves/springs. Those are still high too.

Are they the tumble port, or C heads? I'd get on svtperformance.com and post them for sale. You'll do way better and faster on a mustang or mod motor forum. I'd say ebay, but they're fees have gotten rediculous not to mention dealing with shipping on those...

SVT

Are they the tumble port, or C heads? I'd get on svtperformance.com and post them for sale. You'll do way better and faster on a mustang or mod motor forum. I'd say ebay, but they're fees have gotten rediculous not to mention dealing with shipping on those...

SVT

Thanks, I would guess C heads. Someone from the Corral suggested B or C, not knowing the details of what I posted here. It was supposedly a 99-02 Cobra engine(crate), from about 2003 purchase date. I'll try the site you mentioned, I've only browsed on there before.

The young guy I got them from used boxes with just bubble wrap and newspaper in them, useless. I'd have used at least thin plywood and a ton of cardboard. The boxes were round when the UPS driver's(2) rolled them out of the back.:mad: I kept them due to their value back then, but never got to doing an engine for them.

Ok, so I cleared the codes, started it up and ran it for a few minutes, taking it through the rpm range a few times and getting it to operating temp. Shut it down, ran the codes, NO CODES! Onto the next issue, checking the vss wiring...

SVT

The conclusion:
So I worked on the vss today, pulled the abs module wiring apart, and found something. Somehow, I didn't wire in the new vss output. Got that done, went for a testdrive, nothing. So, I'm scratching my head, went backvover everything vss related, thinking its exactly like mine, almost. The only thing different was the abs module itself, being its a 98. But the 98 should have been the same (remember back in the wiring phase, the vss was not in the tcase like the 96-97, it was in the rear axle similar to the 99-01). So I decided to pull my abs module and try it before I go buy one, install it, go for another testdrive and...

IMAG1595.jpg

With the speedo now working, time to test the 4x4. 4 hi works...

IMAG1597.jpg

...and 4lo works...

IMAG1596.jpg

Now with this fixed, this concludes the swap. However, the cruise control isn't working, which it wasnt working before the swap. Figured it might have been the cruise module, nope. So tomorrow, gonna work on that...

SVT

Nice,good to see it working. So you think the cruise control problem maybe steering wheel related?

The cruise had quit just shortly before I took it to Rick. He is going to try and get it fixed for me. The plan at this time is to pick it up Friday. I hardly slept at all last night thinking about getting it back. Thanks to Rick and all the rest of the great folks on this forum that have posted comments and helpful ideas. I will keep this thread updated as I continue to do things to the truck.

Today has sucked, been chasing gremlins on this thing.

What I had left was the pats chip to attach to in the right spot, had to fix the interlock, and fix the cruise control. So, I started by checking out the Brake Pedal Position sensor (the one mounted on the master cylinder), Both it and the fuse feeding it was bad, but still no go. So I check the switches in the steering wheel (swapped them with mine, mine work), no go. So I swap the switches, install the airbag, now I have a new problem, horn quit working. So I decided to get the chip installed and work on the interlock. Well, finally found a good location for the chip, get it installed, and majically that fixed the interlock at the same time. Back to the cruise, test the power to the module, its got power, go for another test run, now I've lost 4x4, blinkers, and pats kicked in again! I've been borrowing fuses trying to get the horn working, so the blinkers was from the fuse, I knew that. Turns out the 4x4 was another fuse I borrowed for the BPP sensor feed. The horn, is grounding out between the airbag frame and the floating bar that provides power to the horn (plastic piece broke off the end). Didn't get that fixed 100% yet, been trying to get the cc working. I've tested about as far as I can on my own, I need a third hand to operate the control switches while I test at the module. I've got power, I know that much. Still working on this. At this point, I think its the clock ring/wiring in the column...

SVT

So after doing some further testing, looks like the brake pedal position switch (mounted on the master cylinder) is bad, and notorious for going bad, there's a TSB out for it, the infamous red pressure switch. Tested all the cruise components, and the switches are good, but the resume/set accel/coast switches are unresponsive. The horn also shorts and pops the fuse. I'm thinking its in the clock ring...

SVT

The clock spring is a good bet. Lots of them get messed up when someone has the steering shaft disconnected at some time, and it's fun to "spin the wheel." That does in the clock spring after a half dozen or revs.

I had to learn about those when I installed the four some steering wheel in place of the two spoke the Limited came with.

My day after work was hot but interesting. I went to the local PAP and found a 97 Explorer, nasty, with the EATC, message center, and a nice(for a 97) radio bezel. I got those and hope to get the instrument cluster later(I want blue lighting). I went to start with for a 98 Limited memory seat module/wiring/motors. I got them($28). A 97 Town Car auto dimming left mirror was gone/crushed already. That glass alone was $600-$800 from Ford a while back. I broke the last one I tried to remove(the back mounting plastic is super fragile).

So with everything back together, and out for one more test drive, everything works as it should, save for the cruise control, which David plans to change the clock ring. A slight vibration around 35 or so, then dissappears til around 60+. This is from the driveshafts needing balancing. 4x4 works and shifts good, runs and drives good, better than mine. So it's getting loaded up in the morning and I'll be heading out to meet up with David by noon...

SVT

Awesome! Glad to see you got everything working. I was laughing out loud on the fuse thing. :) I grabbed a bunch of fuses out of my donor car before I sent it off. :) :) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back