Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

Post copied from the other build thread, this was posted on this past Monday....

Just got back from Louisville, sure do wish I could have went to the expo. Here's the breakdown....
Got to Louisville friday night about 930, hotel we booked was straight from the gutter, I mean bad. With less than 2 minutes in the room, we loaded our bags back up, headed back to the truck. Got the the front desk, was able to get a refund. I was asked if the beds had been made when I got to the room. BTW, this was America's best value inne and suites, on kemmons drive, in Louisville. Don't ever go there. They should pay you to stay there. Anyways, hopped in the truck, started heading down the road, looking for another hotel. Found one, a Days Inn, just down the road from the expo. Got checked in and paid for 2 nights, and about 45 minutes of being in the room, disaster strikes. Brandi started having excessive bleeding, losing about 2 quarts of blood just at the hotel. Get EMS called, headed for the closest ER. Was there about an hour, and they called in a doc from another hospital, as they deemed it was not safe to transport her to the hospital he was at, which was downtown. 30 minutes later, upon his arrival, and 2 more quarts of blood lost, he was there less than 15 minutes, and took her straight into surgery in one of the ER rooms. 1.5 hours later (about 4am), he comes out to tell us it was a success, and she's in recovery now. Soon as she stabilizes, we can leave. 8 hours later, they finally transfer her to the hospital downtown that has the doctors on duty that she needs (about 2pm). With me not having no sleep or food up to now, which has been over 30 hours straight, I'm beyond tired. Fast forward to today, 2 units of blood and 14 bags of saline later, she was finally discharged about 11am, Louisville time, this morning after she was able to keep food down. So I had a long weekend, no sight of the expo, which I heard the first rock bouncer back flip was performed this weekend at the expo. I seen a couple of pics off facebook, and the backflip. I stopped after that as I was sick to my stomach, partly cause I was unable to go, even with it being a hop, skip and a jump away, but mainy cause I come close to losing the love of my life this weekend.
Moral of this real life story brothers, cherish those you love, tell them you love them every chance you get, cause you never know when it just could be your last.
I'm up in Henderson for this week to take care of her, as she can barely walk, and severely sore and bruised...

I just got back home today, I've had a bad and busy week, and thus, no progress on the trac. Weather permitting, I plan to work on this tomorrow (Monday). Thanks to those that have sent their thoughts.
SVT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

God Bless you and your wife, I hope that she has a smooth recovery. Take the time needed to do as you say, let her know that you love her, and be greatful for what you have. Regards,

Ok, I've been feeling pretty rough the last day or so, but I did some work on it. Chased some wires down, comparing the 99 harness to the 98, and found another difference. On the IAT, the 96-98 has it in the intake tube. In 99, Ford moved the IAT from the tube to the MAF housing, making the MAF harness a 6 wire plug compared to the 4 wire plug of the 96-98 years. Now that the lesson is over, what does this mean? The ecu is not seeing the correct IAT sensor readings cause its not hooked up. The ecu is seeing high temps cause of the zero voltage reading instead of a 5 voltage reading (reference voltage for sensors range from 0-5 volts, in this sensor's case, 0 is high temp, 5 is low temp), causing the 0500 code I received. I went over the plug wires, and what I thought was a cut wire was just a mark on it, closer inspection revealed an intact and good plug wire. The miss I experienced was most likely from the IAT sensor malfunction. Got to hit up the junkyard one more time for the correct MAF sensor...

SVT

Today's progress. Got to the junkyard (again), and got the correct MAF and intake tube...

IMAG1585.jpg

Here's the 98 on the left, the 99 on the right...

IMAG1586.jpg

Notice in the 99, the IAT sensor is just to the left of the MAF....

IMAG1587.jpg

Got the replacements parts installed, but didn't get pics. Cleared the codes, and went for a test drive. Ran a little better, but still has a hesitation. Also have the check fuel cap light on, but no CEL. Possible these wires are backwards, will double check tomorrow. Only code I have now is a 1309, which is CMP/CKT readings are not matching, one is off. I'm confident this is where the miss is coming from. I checked the CMP and CKT plugs, CMP looks good, but the CKT I can't quite see clearly, I've got to pull the fan and shroud to get to it, which I will do tomorrow. Odds are its ok (as it wouldn't start if it was disconnected or wire damaged) and its the CMP thats out of sync. This would make sense since it was the cam syncronizer and CMP that was replaced. I'll have to most likely retime it using the alignment tool. Apparantly I either have it one tooth off, or half a tooth. Didn't get a chance to look at the speedo, which is wierd cause I had a vss code last time. I'll deal with the CMP first thing since I have a good idea what that is, then I'll look at the vss issue. Should have this done by this weekend, hopefully...

SVT

Didn't get much time today, but I did start the retiming process. I have a cmp installation tool, but I don't have the correct year. I have a 96-98, but not a 99-01. So I've got to pick one up. I'm also doing family time for the holidays starting tonight, so progress will resume Monday...

SVT

I was just reading up on the ford forums and it seems I might have skipped a step in trying to reprogram the pats (I can't remember how I did it, and its been at least 5 years since I did one), so im going to try it again on Monday when I get back...

SVT

Easy to forget things after 5 years. I had emails from people asking me details of my swap, and after a year, I had forgotten about everything.

Happy 4th all!

How many people have done v8 ST swaps? I think all of them are in east TN... hahahhaa

I'm looking forward to seeing what that is.

I have contemplated doing something with mine. I have a coolant leak that I believe is the front engine cover. Been doing it for years and not a big deal, but that gives me an excuse to swap out that wimpy cam...but if I am going to go that far, I probably should rebuild.

Sport Trac V8 swap list, RangerSVT, N2Ford, ttbit, Matthew Hewitt, Robert Davis, Tonka Trac? ( I believe his is chevy powered), and 93rangerturbo who did the swap on a 01 Sport, thats all I know of.

A 347 with a custom cam would be a nice upgrade.

:) I have considered the 347.

I do remember seeing the 350 swap. I'll add to my thread when I decide on something. :)

A possible 4bt swap?

I'll actually be downgrading, kind of. That's all I'm leaking til I start it. I will say I will be the first gen1 trac to do this, guaranteed...

SVT

Easy to guess, the eco-boost V6's from later Fords.

Do it.:salute:

I'm still going with the KB blower, and a stock block. If the prices weren't higher than a 332/347 assembly, I'd make mine a 289 or smaller stroke, with more boost for the same power(block limit). So I'll end up with a 332, from Woody again.

I looked into the eco v6. Needs a lot of room for the exhaust, I imagine though. That is no downgrade. :) You can do a lot with that bad boy. I think we are destroying the build thread. :) :) :)

Possibly a 2.3 turbo from a Mustang SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, or Cougar XR7?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Naw, no ecoboost here. Think intech...

Got some good news, after 4 tries, I successfully programmed the 99 ecu with pats components. Now I'm working on placing the chip in a location that the transceiver can read it. Got to retime the cmp, then look at the vss, and call this project done...

SVT

Back