• Register Today It's free!

Not enough fuel, I think

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
Now I am back to my orginal problem. It will not start unless my foot is mashed to the floor. Like in the old days of carbaration. It does not want to stay running. After keeping the Exp running at 3K RPM I finally let off the gas and tried to take it back to idle speed. It has trouble idling and it is at under 5K.
If I turn the truck off it will not start unless I have the gas punched to the floor. To me I think it is not getting enough gas. Any Suggestion.

I also thought maybe I have a leak somewhere. A few months ago I had a check engine light come on and these were the codes

DTC P0171 System Too Lean ( Bank1 )

DTC P0174 System Too Lean ( Bank2 )

I never found any real solution to fixing this problem..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you have a bad fpr ....check the oil for gas , the reason it runs when you have your foot to the floor , is because it isn't getting enough air .....my wife's X did the same thing ...she was stuck on the side of the road in 100* weather ....I towed her home replaced the fuel preasure regulator , and changed the oil ...everything was fine after that ....except for my wallet ...70.00 for the regulator ....Ashley

Once the truck has warmed up it runs better. I Just have to use the brake with one foot and keep the gas applied with the other foot.

Is the Fuel Pressure regulator easy to change. Where is it located at? Do you have any pictures that may help out. My Haynes Manual does not show any really good pictures. I have a 4.0 OHV

Firman

I found the Fuel Pressure regulator. If I am in front of the truck looking at it. It is to the right of the Oil Fill Tube. It is kind of under the top radiator hose. I am goign to stop by advance auto and see if the got one. If they do I am going to change it today or atleast try to change it today..

Is the fuel line on top the only thing I have to remove from it or it there a hose on the bottom side also?

Firman

I had my 2000 Explorer in for a similar problem. Here is what was written on the service order:
"Start: Runs rough when cld / stalls will not idle. OK when warm.
Cause: 9311 Diag rough running concern, EEC Test has LEAN CODES BOTH BANKS. DCL Test and find severe vacuum leak at lower intake manifold."

Next they talk about some unrelated stuff, but I will include it here:
"00M12C 00M12C Perform test repcamshaft chain
tensioner and gsks
21 W94 2.10" (N/C)"

Now back to related stuff:
"1 YL2Z*9E473*AA KIT - MANIFOLD HARDW (N/C)"

I don't see it written on here, but the service guy told me that the manifold repair was warranty as long as there was under 100,000 KM on the odometer.

Good luck with your repair.

Al

I am going to try the pressure regulator first...See if that fixes my issues. Then if I have to move onto the manifold I will. All suggestion are always welcome.

not enough fuel

the regulator is an easy swap....yes it is on the left side if you are looking at it from the front .....if you have a haynes manual ...on page 4-100 ...there is a picture of the fpr on a 4.0 ......one fuel line and one vacum line ....Ashley

Thanks

It was an easy swap, 70 bucks later.
It runs alot better, but I will have to wait and see tommorow to see that changing the Fuel Filter and Fuel Pressure Regulator worked on a cold start morning.

Thanks again everyone....

be sure to change the oil . at least check to see if it is over full , or smells like gas , also see if it appears thin ..ashley

If you have the SOHC engine and you haven't had the 00M12 and 01M01 work done yet, get it done, especially if you haven't exceeded the extended warranty period.

No the truck is OHV(push rod). I am way past any warranty work. I have 185,000 Miles on my X. The only guarantee/warranty that I have still on the truck is that I will be doign the work.

I am going to change the oil this week. After I change the FPR I check the oil. It did not seem runny or thin and actually was a little low that I had to add some oil.

My wife says her truck runs much better than it did before.

If I to do any intake manafold work is there anything special that I need to know other that what is in my haynes manual and many years of shadetree mechanics I have had to learn on my own and from forums like this.

just glad we can help ....the manual willl sum it up for youu pretty well , and then there is alot that the manual won't tell youu , but it is a good place too start , along with this site ....Asshley

You may just need to tighten the intake manifold bolts on the OHV. They have a tendency to come loose.

Back