NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves

Time to join the club. It took me almost two months to complete my project due to lag time of receiving parts, receiving the wrong parts, spending many hours at work (still at war) and tools breaking down. All were under warrenty but still... If it could go wrong, it did. Something always goes wrong with any project. I have built many rigs in the past but this SAS was the worst of my luck. Once everything was here the project went very well. So far this thing drives, tracks, and feels great. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get it out on the highway.
Here's some of the hi-lights:

Rear axle:
8.8 with 4.56 grears and Detroit locker
SOA with AAL and Rancho RS9154 shocks
ProCompStainless steel brake lines
Comming soon: Disc brakes, OME 2" springs

Front axle:
Moved forward two inches.
Dana 30 HP with 4.56 grears, open carrier
Posi-lock cable axle disconnect
SOA with Rubicon Express 1.5" leaf springs, Bomerang shackles, F250 shock towers, and RS9012 shocks.
M.O.R.E. hi-steer cross over steering with heim joints
Rancho Steering stabilizer
ProComp Stainless steel brakes lines moved for more axle drop
Comming soon: Warn alloy shafts and hubs, ARB or Ox locker

Body:
Unlimited Products fiberglass cowl induction hood
Hannamen front fiberglass fenders
Baja Concepts rear fiberglass fenders
James Duff pre-runner winch bumper, Warn XD9000i winch
Comming soon: fiberglass rollpan, CRL customs rear bumper, and paint!

Interior:
JVC EL Calmelion Head Unit, Pioneer three ways up front and two ways in the rear
Uniden Classic CB
Flame gauges

Drivetrain:
stock 4.0L, 5 speed, BW 1354 all with 150k miles, one new clutch @ 100k
KKM True Rev Intake, Helix throttle body spacer, Jacobs Ignition and wires
200amp alternator, Optima Battery
17x10 American Racing Atlas polished wheels
315/70R17 (35x12.50R17) BFG All-Terrain tires. They measure a true 35" tall!
Comming soon: Center Force Duel Friction clutch, Custom front and rear driveshafts

All work was accomplished by myself

Who says you can't flex out leaf springs. I have 12.5" of wheel travel. You can see it in the pics. I started measuring for shocks on a 19* ramp. That wasn't enough (the rear tires came up the ramp before the front stoped flexing :eek:)so I used a fork lift.If I were to change anything, (and I will) I'll change the rear spring hangers. That is my binding point with the shackles. I could get a lot more flex out of those springs with different shackles and mounts. Then the price of 14" travel shocks more than tripple! maybe later...;)

You can check out some of the SAS build up pics in my gallery. Here's a few for starters:

Front spring hangers:
15272left_front_hanger.jpg

Rear spring hangers:
15272rear_hangers.jpg

Steering and axle:
15272steering__finished_and_painted.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very Nice!

Gotta keep some more pics coming because I've got springs- I'm just debating rebuilding and living with 6 bolt lug pattern or swapping out the entire outers...I'm leaning toward swapping out the outers.

Like I said Very Nice!!

Keep the pics coming...please!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Kent just get the links powder coated green. Do something like this guy did on his Jeep

post-1-43307-Mvc_021s.jpg

Kurt, that looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of getting a chrome diff cover to match the rear but painting a rock guard green. I like those steering links but now I'm thinking after I paint the truck green, I may want to paint the shocks purple to accent instead of add that much more green. I dunno yet. Still think the little accents of chrome will be a nice touch and about the same price as powdercoating.

Originally posted by cdsl227
Very Nice!

Gotta keep some more pics coming because I've got springs- I'm just debating rebuilding and living with 6 bolt lug pattern or swapping out the entire outers...I'm leaning toward swapping out the outers.

Like I said Very Nice!!

Keep the pics coming...please!

What other pics do you need? I'm goind to work on getting better pics than what I have now of the suspension.

How is your axle build up comming?

I got the pricing on rebuild kits (front and rear), 4.56s, and lockers- ARB.

I'm debating swapping out the outers for the 5 on 5.5 or just rebuilding the front with the 6 lug.

At any rate I'll be ordering the rebuild kits and all from Randys at the end of next week.

I'd like a good look at the spring hangers...location and anything else you think is noteworthy...it'd all be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sure thing. You will have to take it for what it's worth though. Our frames are not the same. I think Robb's will be closer to yours. I just don't know the differences in all the years.

I'd swap knuckles, but that's just me. It's a Ford and Ford's have 5 lugs, right? ;)

Road Trip

Well, today was our first freeway road trip to Boise (about an hour's drive). It was nice. My wife thinks it drives and rides better than prior to the swap. For those that did not know, we had a superlift 5.5" lift with the extended radius arms and superrunner steering. I did get some body sway so I'll get to working on that sway bar quickly but will deffinitely not be installing a trac bar. That thing drove so smoothly and straight down the road, even at 85 mph. Now I just have to get my new drivelines built and there won't be any vibration what so ever (my splines are worn out). Needless to say we are very pleased with the Exploder.

That sounds great Kent! Glad to hear it didn't fly apart on you:p

Your shocks, on the front, what were your lenghts compress and extended?

Originally posted by JoshC
That sounds great Kent! Glad to hear it didn't fly apart on you:p

Your shocks, on the front, what were your lenghts compress and extended?

No kiddin, I was thinking about that myself. :D I did drive it to my worksite the other day which is about a 45 min drive from the base with about 10 minutes of rough washboard roads so it got a good shakedown before I put the family in it.

The shocks are 19.6" compresses and 32.2" extended. I'll try to get some more flex pics and measurements today. I forgot my camera thurs on my way to work. We've got some pretty good rocks out there I could play with.

Oh sure!!! You can make the hour drive to Boise but you can't seem to make it to Twin Falls. Damn you man!!:D

Go get some rock shots of that thing and don't come back until you do.;)

Hey he has a solid axle.....big deal. I'll up everyone a few steps in a few short months. I'm still not saying what I'm doin but NOTAJP and you know what my plans are.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Hey he has a solid axle.....big deal. I'll up everyone a few steps in a few short months. I'm still not saying what I'm doin but NOTAJP and you know what my plans are.
Isn't it FUN having secret projects?!?:D

Oh and for my color...I'm still doing Kawa. Green. Cause if you noticed I started my tats that color so we'll have to deal with 2 Green Xs in Idaho.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Oh sure!!! You can make the hour drive to Boise but you can't seem to make it to Twin Falls. Damn you man!!:D

Go get some rock shots of that thing and don't come back until you do.;)

Might have to take a trip down there before the weekend is over. I just spent two days clothes shopping with my wife and daughter for her school. It that's not hell, I don't know what is. So be nice!;)

Rock shots comming soon.....

Originally posted by Heath
Hey turbo... Are you stil the big dawg now??? I mean, now that NOTAJP is in your area and has an SAS...

LMAO! You guys kill me. He'll still be the big dawg when he's done. I'll give him a run for his money though.

Originally posted by Robb
Isn't it FUN having secret projects?!?:D

hey Robb, I know the secret...how much $$$ you got?

*** ****** ***** ***** ****** ***** ******. Have to negociate this color deal....

Heath Says: Damn man you can't just give it away!!!

Ok man.....I thought you promised not to tell.:( Yes I did ask for some help. Oh and I talked to the guy from -----------.com today. Finally got the axles in stock. Now I have to sell my vaction and go buy them. hehehe.....it has begun!!:D

Ok and with this color thing......I'm dead set on it cause see I have 2 tats that color and I have all paint and clear coat sittin in the shop so nener nener.

#1 tat:

Attachments

• 3280truckfill.jpg
    3280truckfill.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 757

#2:

Attachments

• flametatoo.jpg
    flametatoo.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 760

Back