NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NOTAJP goes solid 1st gen. leaves

Time to join the club. It took me almost two months to complete my project due to lag time of receiving parts, receiving the wrong parts, spending many hours at work (still at war) and tools breaking down. All were under warrenty but still... If it could go wrong, it did. Something always goes wrong with any project. I have built many rigs in the past but this SAS was the worst of my luck. Once everything was here the project went very well. So far this thing drives, tracks, and feels great. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get it out on the highway.
Here's some of the hi-lights:

Rear axle:
8.8 with 4.56 grears and Detroit locker
SOA with AAL and Rancho RS9154 shocks
ProCompStainless steel brake lines
Comming soon: Disc brakes, OME 2" springs

Front axle:
Moved forward two inches.
Dana 30 HP with 4.56 grears, open carrier
Posi-lock cable axle disconnect
SOA with Rubicon Express 1.5" leaf springs, Bomerang shackles, F250 shock towers, and RS9012 shocks.
M.O.R.E. hi-steer cross over steering with heim joints
Rancho Steering stabilizer
ProComp Stainless steel brakes lines moved for more axle drop
Comming soon: Warn alloy shafts and hubs, ARB or Ox locker

Body:
Unlimited Products fiberglass cowl induction hood
Hannamen front fiberglass fenders
Baja Concepts rear fiberglass fenders
James Duff pre-runner winch bumper, Warn XD9000i winch
Comming soon: fiberglass rollpan, CRL customs rear bumper, and paint!

Interior:
JVC EL Calmelion Head Unit, Pioneer three ways up front and two ways in the rear
Uniden Classic CB
Flame gauges

Drivetrain:
stock 4.0L, 5 speed, BW 1354 all with 150k miles, one new clutch @ 100k
KKM True Rev Intake, Helix throttle body spacer, Jacobs Ignition and wires
200amp alternator, Optima Battery
17x10 American Racing Atlas polished wheels
315/70R17 (35x12.50R17) BFG All-Terrain tires. They measure a true 35" tall!
Comming soon: Center Force Duel Friction clutch, Custom front and rear driveshafts

All work was accomplished by myself

Who says you can't flex out leaf springs. I have 12.5" of wheel travel. You can see it in the pics. I started measuring for shocks on a 19* ramp. That wasn't enough (the rear tires came up the ramp before the front stoped flexing :eek:)so I used a fork lift.If I were to change anything, (and I will) I'll change the rear spring hangers. That is my binding point with the shackles. I could get a lot more flex out of those springs with different shackles and mounts. Then the price of 14" travel shocks more than tripple! maybe later...;)

You can check out some of the SAS build up pics in my gallery. Here's a few for starters:

Front spring hangers:
15272left_front_hanger.jpg

Rear spring hangers:
15272rear_hangers.jpg

Steering and axle:
15272steering__finished_and_painted.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Derrick, you might want to edit that post quickly. I did promise not to tell, just had to harass. I've seen your tats in your pics. I'm sure we'll work out something. MY wife and I were just talking about what we could do different. Thought of graphics like the KX250 (purple and silver) or flames.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Would you two make up your minds!!! My girlfriend was talking about doing tribal flames on mine. How about both of us can do green but only one of us can do graphics???

Good boy. I see you fixed your post. If Robb comes up with some cash, I might just have to tell to fund my paint job.

Angel said you already have the tats, you can have the flames. We'll work on color when I'm ready to spray.

Another road trip

Yesterday we ended up going to Twin Falls, but SOMEBODY wasn't home. I turned up the shocks and got rid of the body sway. Now I just have to cough up the $600 for new front and rear driveshafts. The front I can have lengthened with long travel splines. The rear will need a whole net driveshaft as the splines are shot. I found a shop in Boise that does a lot of custom and off road work and I didn't get the usual crap like "You can't do that", or "Explorer's can't be lifted that much", or "Why?"

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Oh and I talked to the guy from -----------.com today. Finally got the axles in stock.

Damn dude, that was too easy. I know exactly who you've been talking too. I've had a few conversations with him myself recently.

You SOBs!!!;) Ya just can't leave anything alone can ya.
Yep you busted me. I've been talking to Daniel from killeraxles.com for about a week and he'll have 40-60 fronts in stock in 3-5 weeks.

Sorry about that Kent.:( You should've said something the day before or something. I had to go down to Hagerman for my ol' ladies B-day yesterday and throw a big party. Yeah river kicked my ass and beers hurtin today.

No pro Derrick. It was a spur of the moment thing. We wanted to invite you guys to Outback. I sent you a link to a front 404 axle on eBay, did you get it?

Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys who are considering 404 axles understand the can o worms you are opening by moving to a portal axle that will be under an actual vehicle?

Oh damn Kent......you make it worse by saying you guys were going to go to the Outback. Damn it man!!! Next time lets plan this...K.

Cory, what are you talking about???

So far my set plans are to whack the whole rear off, behind the rear doors, frame and all. Then kinda do a tubular bed. Fuel cell and spare tire mounted back there. I'm not sure about the front yet. Any ideas?? I just want it to still resemble an Explorer so I'll probably cut and section and use body panels but that sucks since I have fiberglass front and rear.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Oh damn Kent......you make it worse by saying you guys were going to go to the Outback. Damn it man!!! Next time lets plan this...K.

So far my set plans are to whack the whole rear off, behind the rear doors, frame and all. Then kinda do a tubular bed. Fuel cell and spare tire mounted back there. I'm not sure about the front yet. Any ideas?? I just want it to still resemble an Explorer so I'll probably cut and section and use body panels but that sucks since I have fiberglass front and rear.

We did go to Outback and it was great! We didn't plan this so I won't hold it against ya.

Yeah, that'll keep your big dawg status!

Oh come on guy.....I'm not out to keep my Big Dawg status.:mattmoon:

I was never worried about who's Exploder was bigger. I'm very happy with my SAS, 35" tires and being able to drive 85mph all day long. :) Let's see your 46s do that and stay in the same lane.

I was followed the other day by two cops. They were looking hard and ran my plates but didn't pull me over. The Security Police (Military police) have been keeping tabs on me but I don't give them a reason to pull me over. We have an understanding now. ;)

Well, this SAS is becoming a big thing. I'm now driving a mobile billboard. Since this project was completed, I've had many inquiries. I promised Derrick I'd help him with his monster garage. Just this morning I got two more requests to do SAS. One is my neighbor that just moved in today with a Toyota 4Runner and the other from a guy that installed my new Windshield also this morning for a '93 Yukon. I'm always willing to help anyone, anytime. Any excuse to weld to turn a wrench.

I have been working with a couple guys via email for SAS on their Exploders. I've been kicking around the idea of building a "kit" for a leaf spring SAS for 1st Gens. Anyone interested? I'm going to build at least one, two would be easy to do.

This is just crazy, I love it!

Well when you decide to do a coiled SAS then let me know. Especially if it is cheap. Chris sent me this link to the bronco graveyard they sell 4 different SAS kits Bronco Graveyard SAS Kit

Kurt, I have seen those a few years ago. They are built by Fabritech (NOT FABTECH). They are way over priced and don't have any flex. If you want coil, get an EB D44 and a James Duff kit. It'll damn near bolt on, easy it install, and flex like crazy.

I've had several emails asking about a parts list and an estimate on cost. Here's a short list of what I have done. Keep watch and I'll edit the post when I get more ideas:

Custom built spring hangers (by me)
Leaf springs for a YJ Wrangler $300
Shackles for a 2.5" wide spring (Wrangler) $75
F250 shock towers $40
shocks of your choice $60-200 ( I only use Rancho 9000s) more if you want more axle travel after 12"
spring over axle spring pads $30
axle shock mounts $15
U-bolts $20
M.O.R.E. hi-steer (depending on which axle to cost) $500
drop pitman arm $40
extended brake lines $90
Misc bushings and bolts $75

Dana 30 front axle from YJ (if you want the same bolt pattern) $100-500

This will all depend on what condition the axle is in and what mods have been done to it.

I still have to mate up the sway bar so some quick disconnects will run between $60-100.

I almost forgot I haven't taken the time to install bump stops yet.

I did all the welding and disassembled the old axle myself. That saves a lot of $$$.

I'm opening up some connections for springs and other parts to get a good deal if someone else wants to do the same.

Back