• Register Today It's free!

Notes on tire sizes

curlywurly

Reaction score
City, State
OKLAHOMA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Just posting this for informational purpose, as I know when I was looking for new tires for my 2013 Ltd any info was useful.

I'm second owner, vehicle came with Goodyear Fortera HD 265/50/R20, about 50% worn at 76k, overall good condition.

I'm aware this is not the stock tire size, the tires were replaced by the previous owner for the Fortera.

It drives and handles fine, if a little hard, I put this down to the low side wall.

At 94k, the Forteras are very worn, not down to the wear limit, but I would guess 3000-5000 miles away from hitting it, however, the wet weather grip took a nose dive, and also the rubber was starting have lots of cracks in it, Oklahoma summers can be harsh. Never had any road noise issues.

I got a good deal on 4 x 255/55R20 Continental CrossContact LX20, so replaced the all 4 tires, I'm aware that that the 55R is slightly over factory (3.3% AFAICT), but wanted to see if the slightly higher sidewall made any difference to the slightly harsh ride.

I cannot honestly say if the slightly higher side wall made the difference, but the ride is definitely not as harsh, not a massive difference, but there is one. Noise is non existent, very quiet tires, and grip has been great in the wet, I also notice that the steering is now slightly lighter, I'm putting this down to the narrower tread.

Anyway, thought I put this up, might be useful to someone.

Thanks Peter, I misread my own notes, now corrected the 0.3 to 3.3.

Back