Now Driving a 2002 Explorer...need some opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Now Driving a 2002 Explorer...need some opinions

96ExplorerDriver

Reaction score
City, State
St John's NL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
ok guys...no longer driviing a 96....i now have a 2002 Explorer...bought it for a deal ..thre guy thought the tranny was toast ..i got the whole truck for 800 bucks,,,,steal of a deal even if i gotta put a transmission in it...the truck is mint...anyways i just want some insight on what the problem could be because i have pout 4500KM on thre truck and the problem has NOT gotten worse...i was told by the previous owner before the guy i bought it off NOT TO TAKE THE TRANNY OUT...that it is a module

ok heres what happens ....pout it in drive and drive down thrw road...coming out of first gear is the ONLY problem....what u hasve to do is let it rev up to aboiut 3500 RPMS and totalely let go of the gas pedal ...it then smoothly shifts into second gear once into second trhe reast of the shifts do it on their own perfectly....there doesnt seem to be no slipping ...and i mean when u let go of the pedal it goes right into second,...second to 3rd is fine ....and so on is all good....after like 5 minutes of driving the od light blinks ...shuit the truck off and back on and it strops bling ...now with almost 5000 kms put on it scince i bought it ..the problem and not gotten any worse it has stayed the same....the guy i bought the truck off thought it was gonna be gone in a day or 2 which is why he gave it to me so cheap....its not evven that much of a hassle to drive it like this...

i was told it could be a MODULE ....but i know i shjould go get it scanned.....just a couple of quesdtions

what do any of you all think it could be??? and how long can you actually drive around loike3 this .....

oh forgot to mention solmetimes after a while of driving it CLUNKS when it comes out of firsdt..but once it does that just shut the truck off then back on and it goes 100% back to trhe way it was......

how long will the truck last like this without doing anything to it.....it sounds like qa sensor or module or electrical
to me

itrs a 2002 Explorer....V6 4.0 ..... thanks for any inpout / stories of trucks driving for years lkike this (yea right) lol ...

someone must have had or at least heard of this transmission problem.... have i posted it in the wrong section??:exp:

Back