1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Number of teeth on a stock speedo gear?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by wrbrower, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wrbrower

wrbrower New Member

City, State:
      Portland Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 EB 4x4
      My speedo is running 10% under (31x10.50R15 may have to do with it? :rolleyes: ). I see you can order different speedo gears (specifically at the end of the speedo cable as it goes into the back of the tranny).

Does anyone know how many teeth are on a stock gear for a 91 XLT 4x4 with an automatic? And as a sanity check, do you know the color (very optional)?

I would like to order the new one without getting out in the cold and peaking at the old one. (ME = WUSS)

Thanks everyone!
      Merry Christmas,
      Bill

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      The color of the gear depends on how many teeth it has. I'm not going to be able to tell you what your's has as with different gears in the diffs will affect how many teeth are on the speedo gear. Goto ford and get a speedo gear thats got a few less teeth than the one you have currently. And yes 31s will affect your speedo.