Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

O/D "on/off" light flashing on dashboard

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by MattStarr, October 11, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MattStarr

MattStarr Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      St Petersburg, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99' EB Expedition
      Ok, this morning when I was going to class, I put the car in D and I noticed in the lower right hand corner of the dashboard, an orange light was blinking which read "OD on/off" I tried pressing the button on the end of the shifter, but it did not do anything. When I turned the car off and restarted it, there was no blinking light. THis was the first and last time I ever seen the blinking light. WHat happened? Any Thought?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Majisto

Majisto Active Member

City, State:
      Austin, Texas
      2000 XLT
      Did it still go into Overdrive, and did pressing the button on the lever cause the light to flash up again but stay lit?

4. MattStarr

City, State:
      St Petersburg, FL
      99' EB Expedition
      Im not sure if I understand what you are asking. The light was blinking when I turned the car on. When I pressed the button, the light just kept blinking. I couldnt tell if O/D was engaging ot not. Can you switch to O/D while in motion?

5. tenikiwon

tenikiwon Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Yakima, WA
      02 F250/Zuk twins
      yea, you can press it when you're driving.

Over drive is used when going highway speeds to kick your X into another gear to get you better gas mileage. When hauling stuff (ie trailer) you might want to press the button and turn it off. This will esentially put your X in 4th gear, raising your RPMs and giving you more acceloration.

Sorry, don't have an explanation of why or a fix though. Never heard of it.

6. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      It means that the computer has detected a fault in one of the transmission's sensors. This could be caused by alot of things. If the tranny fluid, has not been changed lately, change it. If so, don't worry about it unless it happens again.

7. MattStarr

City, State:
      St Petersburg, FL
      99' EB Expedition
      I thought tranny fluid was good for 100K miles, im only up to 78K miles? Cant think of any problems, just recently had her into the dealer and replaced the serpatine belt and air filter with an oil change. They said everything else looks fine. Maybe it was just a fluke thing.

8. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Many people "in the know" around here recommend replacing the fluid every 15-25K miles. These trannies are very weak and the fluid and filter need to be changed often. You may want to consider getting it flushed as well.

9. BradE.

BradE. Active Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      1997 XLT 4x4
      I think Ford recommends changing it every 50K miles, but I would do it sooner.

10. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Well, with your fluid already 78k old, when you change it it might reveal problems. As crazy as this sounds, I recommend not changing it. Many members have experienced tranny problems when they change the fluid after a really long interval. I personally would just wait for the tranny to die before messing with the fluid; unless the level is low or it is contaminated with water. Rule with Ford trannies: treat 'em like crap, or like your own son; no in between.

Anyway, overdrive is the last gear in your tranny. If you have the 4.0 OHV or the 5.0, OD is 4th gear. If you have the 4.0 SOHC, OD is 5th. Pushing the button (and turning the light on steady) turns OD off, preventing the tranny from using that gear until it absolutely has to; usually around 90 mph. When hauling heavy loads or under great stress on the highway, this keeps your rpms and power up while lowering the number of stressful shifts. There are many threads on when to turn OD off and when to keep it on.

So anyway, I'd get your fluid level checked and see if it has water in it. Other than that, I'd leave it alone until it craps out; which unfortunately may be soon.

11. AKJello

AKJello New Member

City, State:
      Crestview, FL
      1995 XLT
      Had the same problem on my '95. How is it shifting? Is it shifting hard between 1st & 2nd? I had the same light flashing on mine associated with hard shifts and it was the throttle position sensor. Mine would only happen when the engine was warm. I shot the TSP cold and it checked good but bad when the engine is hot. The higher the temp the higher the resistance! Good Luck

12. MattStarr

City, State:
      St Petersburg, FL
      99' EB Expedition
      My tranny shifts smooth between all gears. There are no hard shifts. Maybe it was just a glitch it the computer or something, I mean, maybe its nothing to worry about. The truck is mechanically sound.....as far as I know.

13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      I would recommend replacing your fluid ASAP. You have the same 5-speed auto that I have and Ford lists the recommended change interval on my '97 as 51K under severe duty and 100K under normal duty. I first did just a pan drop and filter change at 51K. I decided to go ahead and to all the fluid at 80K along with the filter. At 80K my fluid was very dark, even after replacing 4 of the 10 quarts 30K miles earlier. Ford puts in Mercon V at the factory which is a synthetic blend. It is designed to go longer between fluid changes, but due to my experiences, I'll stick with 30K changes from now on. The concern that changing fluid with a lot of miles on it causing more problems shouldn't be an issue since Ford started installing Mercon V. If you do change the fluid now, there is a small chance you might develop problems. If you don't change the fluid, there is a large chance that you will develop problems. Since Ford recommends 100K fluid change under normal duty (which hardly anyone ever drives and not knowing your driving habits) you may be doing exactly what Ford specifies (right or wrong). I would do a complete fluid flush and filter change and don't wait so long for the next one.

14. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      I didn't know the recommended Merc V/5R55E changes were so long.

So yes, listen to Robert and change the fluid ;)

15. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I would immediately change the ATF as well as the filter.

16. Majisto

Majisto Active Member

City, State:
      Austin, Texas
      2000 XLT
      Huh? SOHC engines have the 5 speed auto? :confused: I thought I had the 4AOD-E in my truck...then what the hell is in my truck? It has D(OD),2,1.

17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      Your transmission has 5 gear ratios, however your stalk looks the same as the 4-speed autos except when you select "2" you are actually locking it into 3rd gear as opposed to 2nd gear. All SOHC Explorers came with the 5R55E until Ford started offering the manual transmission in either 2001 or 2002. The OHV also started getting the 5R55E in '97 as well when the manual wasn't ordered.

18. Majisto

Majisto Active Member

City, State:
      Austin, Texas
      2000 XLT
      Oh so is that why my transmission is actually able to take a beating and not fall apart? ;) I really like my X's transmission. Putting 74K miles on a 2000 model year car is pretty hard on the transmission. Especially when it's mostly all rough city driving :eek:

19. barrythedude

barrythedude New Member

City, State:
      regina. sask
      1995 explorer xlt
      Okidoki, first post to the forum, hope I will help ya. There are 7 (!) sensors on the 95-96 explorers in the trannie that will trigger the od light to flash. In my case (dont laff) there is a sensor to stop the trannie from shifting if it is -40 below or colder. The problem was not in the sensor itself (thank g*d) but the grounding wire to the PCM. It was a loooong month before I traced all this back. However, you can reset the light by removing the pos terminal on your battery. You will have to leave it a minumum of 15 minutes to clear the code, as it is a soft code only. When you reattach, the light will be gone. Try it next time, you will see..also the shifts are very firm when this light is activated. puts the trannie in limp mode. Have a good one, I luv this group!