O2 sensor exhaust thread problem.

BobWiersema

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Burbs, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0L SOHC 4x4
I just pulled the O2 B1S1, because it was totally dead. Had to torch the snot out of it to get it out. It looks like it left some crap behind in the exhaust bung hole. I cant start the new one and dont want to trash it.

Does anyone know what size tap I can chase this with?

Would Pepboys have something like that? They are closest to me.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Sensor-Thread-Chaser-M18/dp/B000XETMW0

Car-Quest carries that brand but so do many other places. They also make a Helicoil kit for it, but I don't think your at that point yet.

~Mark

Thanks Mark,

Im going to call pep boys to see if they have it. Car Quest is in Lombard and not so close, but I can do that if need be.

Ill post a picture of the old O2, I cant believe I got the thing out. I had to keep the pipe bung-hole cherry red for every little turn.

Bob

Just in case you didn't see my edit. Sears carries it and their store pickup checker seems to work well.

~Mark

Thread size

The O2 sensor is not the same size as a spark plug, is it?

Pep boys has two different spark plug thread chasers and the Amazon page says this.....

Product Features

* Cleans Threads in Oxygen Sensor Holes
* Use with 3/4" Hex socket or 3/8" square drive
* Size: M18X1
* 5 Also works on M18X1
* 5 spark plug threads

Could save me a drive four towns over to car quest if they are the same. I think I can drive it, kind of sounds like a little motor boat. :)

Bob

I don't know if they are the same thread.. But the one from sears is double ended, so I really don't know.. I don't have a spark plug and O2 sensor lying around.

~Mark

18M Thread

Thanks again Mark,

Im going to go take a look a PepBoys tomorrow to see if they have a 18M. The Sears one must be like this one from toolsource.com

67798a.jpg

Im sure driving it that far wont hurt anything. If your wondering how this started, the CEL came on last week and I this is what I found.

trouble_codes-vi.jpg

I know I said bank 1 I meant 2 and I did pull bank 2 sensor 1.

Hope the new sensor fixes all that.

Bob

Thread chaser & heater wire

Harbor Freight has a 14/18mm thread chaser for $5.
ThrdChas.gif

Have you checked to make sure that the O2 sensor wiring has not come into contact with the exhaust pipe? The PCM is reporting that the heater circuit is bad and that doesn't fail very often. You could have a bad connection or shorted wire instead of a bad sensor.

Have you checked to make sure that the O2 sensor wiring has not come into contact with the exhaust pipe? The PCM is reporting that the heater circuit is bad and that doesn't fail very often. You could have a bad connection or shorted wire instead of a bad sensor.

Dale,

The thing was coated in carbon big time. If you remember over a year ago I had the PCV come loose while driving back from Eagle River, that resulted in oil being sucked through the intake. After I fixed that the CEL was on and it was the same group of codes on bank 1. I replaced that one when I fixed the PCV but the damage from the oil finally took its tole on the bank 2 sensor. I still haven't found a thread chaser and I need to fix it today so Im going to try something else. I have a little round wire brush that you put on a drill to clean copper fittings before sweating. I hope that if I heat the bung-hole back up and take that wire brush to it all the crap left behind from the sensor will come out (I hope !).

Bob

Any Ideas?

I got the 18mm thread chaser from Harbor Freight today and I have been farting around with it for over an hour. I cant get the tool to start in the threads. I cleaned it up by heating it and running a round wire brush on a drill in the hole, it looks clean but I still see shiny stuff from the old sensor.
I just cant get that tool to start and I dont want to damage the bung hole threads. Any advice would be great.

Bob

How much of the old O2 do you have? Could you cut a slot on 2 sides in the thread to basically turn it into a tap? If you use an angle grinder and go thro the bottom to do both sides at once you might get a nice sharp edge that will cut out any crud. Also use some copper slip as you work it in and out and this will hold any particles you cut off and ease the process at the same time.
I used this method with a cam tensioner as a PO had crossed the threads on the head. Admittedley the head is alloy but for want of a better tool it's worth a try and it's free.

I have the 18mm tap, I just cant start it.

I think I got close by heating the bung to cherry red, it seamed like progress.
At this point the tap is chilling in some ice water and I plan to heat the bung threads back up to cherry red and hit it again. I may run run out of acetylene before I get it, looks like 1/4 in the tank and not sure if the spare is empty or full.

Thinking about filing down the end of the tap to taper it a bit more, dont know what else to try. I need my truck........

Any other ideas would be great.

Bob

Just the thread chaser, that is the problem. Im going to try something else with some files.

Thats it, I QUIT!!!!!!!!

That stupid thread chaser is a worthless waste of time and money. I just threw the stupid thing as far as I could towards the tracks. :( (hope I didn't hit any innocent rats)

I waited four days to get that worthless thing. I guess if the thread was perfectly fine and you got some paint or rust in there it might work to clean that.

Im putting the tools away for today and ordering the proper 18mm tap that BrooklynBay pointed out on amazon. Im sure someplace around here may have it in stock but I dont care. I wrapped the hole with some tin and clamps and Ill just drive it like that till I get the correct tool.

End of rant... :rant:

Thanks for the help.

BrooklynBay, can you move this out of the 911? Emergency is over, Im driving it the way it is. :D

Thanks again.
Bob

This job is on Hold.

Thanks again for the help.

Tap is on order from a place in Indiana, about the closest place to me I could find. I ordered a M18x1.5 4 Flute Taper HSG Tap. If that doesnt work Im grinding the bung off and welding a new one on.

Another repair job on hold - for now. :banghead:

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back