Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

O2 sensor problems.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by RIANT, August 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RIANT

RIANT New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 xls
      I have had my 2002 Explorer XLS since new, 247,150 miles. Do most of my own maintenance. After getting trouble codes P0141 and P061 I replaced both downstream O2 sensors and reset the light. After 30 mins of driving the service engine soon light came back on***!!!. Can any one out there steer me to a solution or another cause for these trouble codes. My code reader is not a Scan Tool, just the generic shade tree mechanic type. I hate going to the dealer!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma
      95 XLT
      When the CEL came back on, was it showing the same codes?

4. celly

celly disturber of the peace

City, State:
      calgary
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      Are you sure the sensors were bad, or were the codes telling you that the sensors were tipping you off about something else?

I just dealt with several P1151 codes. Also an o2 sensor code. The real issue was a faulty plug wire. The sensor did it's job. There is no code for "faulty spark plug wire". The condition gets captured by the sensor via the code. Doesn't mean the sensor is bad.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. Mustangman66

Mustangman66 Member

City, State:
      Tolland CT
      2003 4dr Explorer, v6
      Can you elaborate on some of the symptoms that you were experiencing? I have been throwing the same codes as you telling me Ive got a bad 02 sensor,

i took it to a shop to have them check the problem, and i paid $200 to have them reset the computer and rotate my tires. then they feed me some BS about filling it up with gas to often ...:rolleyes:

anyways, here's some of the issues i noticed (some may not be related)

No power in the low end occasionally while accelerating.
      splutter and almost die when slowing down occasionally.
      Slow, it isn't as quick or fast as it used to be.
      grinding noise in the front right wheel ONLY when turning right(likely unrelated)

let me know if you have experienced any similar symptoms,

thanks

7. RIANT

RIANT New Member

2002 xls
      Searching for p0141&p0161 solutions

No problems with the operation...yet! Runs smooth, good mileage starts without problem, no smoke. I do need wheel bearings, i am going to do the front. I do not have a press so i do not know if i will do the rear. Still have not solved the p0141 and p0161 code light. A mechanic said that usually were some thing other than the o2 sensors. I am going to check the connection on the firewall today. Also going to look for vacume leaks, any suggestion on the best way to do this? Could a leaking valve cover gasket cause the error codes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Riant