obd-2.com Logger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

obd-2.com Logger

Generally, datalogging software cannot adjust obd-II settings. OBD-II as a rule is pretty locked down. Now AEM just started producing a stand alone style unit, that allows you to lay out your own fuel curves and timing maps and such, but I dunno if it's compatable with the ford ECU...So far I've only seen it in the import-obdII crowd. It's somewhat pricey as well. Before AEM picked it up, it was called Pro-EFI, I'm not positive if it retained that name or was renamed by AEM.

Al Omahen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bringing back an old thread from the bottom of the pile... (thanks search!)

I'm interested in Alex Peper's OBD-2 interface, I just sent him an email about the tripple-combo interface. I will report on how it works, if i get it.

It seems like a great tool, for now I'll just run it from my laptop, but may pick up an old 486 or pentium for 20 bucks on ebay.

Does anyone else on here have his interface? Comments? Complains?

I bought my obd2 scanner and software from: http://www.autoenginuity.com/ thru an ebay auction.

I've been happy with the interface and the software is easy to use. It doesn't pull ABS or airbag codes, but the plug interface is universal so you don't need a different adapter for GM, Toyota, etc.

I actually run the software from my home PC in my basement. I run a 50' serial cable from the PC out the door to my driveway. Granted, I can't drive around and do any data logging yet until I pick up a laptop.

I ended up buying the Diagtek scanner for the Palm Pilot. It does have the ability to scan for ABS and Airbag codes plus a bunch of other stuff.

It has already paid for itself by helping me diagnose a bad coil pack using the Continuous Misfire detection function. I also helped a coworker scan for an EGR code on his F150.

Highly recommended

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85555&highlight=scan+tool

I did the same thing as dogfriend, I invested in the Diagtek. Aside from a factory NGS scanner, it's the best Ford scan tool available. It scans everything, including SRS, ABS and GEM modules. Well worth the money.

BradE. said:
I have some good news. I e-mailed Alex Peper (The guy to makes the scan tool) he said it supports Engine and Tranny codes for Ford. Can download Ford Enchanced from his website free of charge.

No Airbag, but the indicator lamp flashes the code so you don't really need that. Does not read ABS.

That's interesting, because when I emailed Alex Peper, I got a different answer:

My email:
"I have a '99 Ford Explorer. I've done some customization to it. I
have my 'Check Engine', 'ABS', and 'Airbag' lights on. I am looking
for a scanner that not only reads the generic OBD-II, but Ford's ABS
and Airbag signals. I know most scanners do not do this, does yours?
Thank you,
-James"

Alex Peper's response:
"Yes, will support. Will need dual combo model PWM-ISO $142."

Does anyone know what to make of this, and which one is true? I'm a little sceptical that all the scanners I know of now that have the ability to scan Ford ABS and Airbag codes are $1000+ and the obd-2.com is only $142. This is very important to me, because I am purchasing a scanner for the purpose to scan these codes.

If anyone is interested, I have found the exact scanner used by Ford and with the additional Flash upgrade, you can even re-flash your own computer! I would buy this in a second if I had the money to spare.
http://www.hickok-inc.com/ngs/ngsintro.html

I haven't read anything negative about Alex Peper's software, so if he is telling you that it will read ABS and Airbag codes, I would tend to believe him. It appears that he supports his product well, so I doubt that he would lie about this capability.

I know that the Diagtek software can scan ABS and Airbag codes because I bought one and tried it out. I haven't had any codes set in either system to date though. The Diagtek is $250 for the software plus about $20 for the interface cable (depending on which Palm model you have)

does anyone have alex peper's scanner?

My question is, what are the differences between the $142 obd-2.com scanner, the $450 diagtek scanner, and the $2500 factory NGS scanner? Can the two cheaper scanners scan everything the NGS will scan?

the diagtek sounds like it is getting great reviews, but for $450 (plus I dont own a palm pilot and I will need to add that onto the price) does it do anything/scan more codes than alex peper's $142 unit (which I do have a laptop)?

I have right now 4 lights illuminated on my dash! Check Engine, O/D Off [blinking], ABS, and Airbag (don't ask). I certaintly do not want to invest in any scanner which will not diagnose all these problems. I do not want to purchase a scanner just to find out that I still can't eliminate my ABS and Airbag lights.

just some additional questions:

when you fix the problem that the light came on for, does it automatically go off, or does it need to be "reset"? if so, do you reset it by cutting the power to the computer for a few minutes, or do you need a scanner to "reset" it for you? do all scanners have this capability?

how do you read the code visually from the blinking airbag light?

I have the OBD-2 scanner. It has worked well for me. Bones, you have a button on the screen to clear all stored codes with OBD-2. It also will run key on engine off and key on engine on tests.

I bought the cable that works on foreign, domestic, and dodge. I have used it on my X and on a blazer.

I don't have any experience with the other scanners.

I purchased it, here's my review

I purchased Alex Peper's scan tool/interface, and am relatively pleased with it. I purchased the "Tripple-Combo," after the student discount it was $130 shipped to my house in about 3 days. The package included the interface and an activation code for the software. The interface is a standard OBD-2 plug with the 6ft cord exiting from the side. There is a small box, and 1 ft of cable going to a 9pin serial plug. The software is downloaded from the website. The software will run on old Windows 3.1, with very limited hardware. I had an anceint Toshiba 486 laptop, which is now my dedicated scanner. No battery left, but my inverter works fine.

The interface itself is pretty simple. The software is easy to use, but a little clumsy and unrefined. Connecting to the truck's computer took seconds, no glitches or configuration settings to deal with. Once connected, you go to a tab to access and display codes. Both stored codes and pending codes are shown. Hitting "Clear" removals ALL codes.

The live data function and logging, which is what makes the scanner so amazing, could be improved. There is a page that will display basic OBD-2 data values in their respective units (ie, the MAF value is in #/min, the IAT is in deg F). I have not found a way to change the units to their native ohms or volts. There is another window, that pulls up enchanced data. Very primitive, it sends requests for over 1180 parameters. The Mountaineer returns about 180. This request process takes about 5 minutes. Once this is done, the routine updating of values is rather slow. I am not sure if this is the fault of OBD-2, the serial port, or the slow laptop I am using. Values are displayed in both native units and desired units. The information here is rather breathtaking, including all sensor voltages, individual cylinder misfire counts, injector monitioring status, EVAP system sensor positions and values, etc. Unfortunatley, nothing can be done with this data except live monitioring.

There are other features of the program, such as a virtual dashboard, usefull, but often too slow to be useful; but I feel this is a fault of the slow PC. There is an O2 sensor monitoring page, but it is not supported by our EEC.

Overal, I'm very happy with the tool. It performs as advertised and is an amazing diagnostic tool. Its hard for me to compare the unit to others, as I have not used any!

V8BoatBuilder said:
. Once this is done, the routine updating of values is rather slow. I am not sure if this is the fault of OBD-2, the serial port, or the slow laptop I am using. Values are displayed in both native units and desired units. The information here is rather breathtaking, including all sensor voltages, individual cylinder misfire counts, injector monitioring status, EVAP system sensor positions and values, etc. Unfortunatley, nothing can be done with this data except live monitioring.

I think the speed of the live updating may be a function of how Ford chose to do the multiplexing of the data port. This is speculation on my part, but I noticed the same issue with the Diagtek scanner that runs on the Palm. I intended to use it as a virtual gauge (for ATF temp as an example) but the speed of the updating is not instantaneous; it takes 2 or 3 seconds between updates. I could still use it as a gauge, but it is not as satisfying as a real gauge because of the delay.

If you consider that the Ford PCM must receive all sensor data, compute or look up output data, send the correct data to actuators, communicate with other modules (GEM), run OBD-2 verification tests (O2 sensor test, Evap Sys test, etc) and communicate with the data port, then it is easier to understand that the computer may not be able to output live data constantly. The system is most likely designed to give highest priority to adjusting fuel injector timing; lowest priority to data port communication.

I remember reading that the processor is not particularly fast compared to the average PC; Ford only recently upgraded to 32 bit processors, our 97 models have 16 bit processors. I don't recall the clock speed, but I think it may only be 33 MHz.

The PCM does have quite a job to do.

When the scanner is monitoring the 15 or so core OBD2 values, updates are rather quick, about 2 seconds. It just when Its grabbing 125 values, when it slows down. It updates the values serially, ie, one then the next then the next; all in a loop.

I wish Peper's software would allow the user to manually select which values it asks for, so if all I want is TPS voltage, I can set it to monitor just that one parameter value and theoretically have that be truly live.

V8BoatBuilder said:
The PCM does have quite a job to do.

I wish Peper's software would allow the user to manually select which values it asks for, so if all I want is TPS voltage, I can set it to monitor just that one parameter value and theoretically have that be truly live.

You can set the Diagtek to just monitor one parameter, I had it set to only monitor for misfires - but it still didn't update instantly - it took at least a second between feeling the misfire and seeing the display register "true".

A disadvantage of the Diagtek compared to your software is that you can only monitor four different parameters at the same time and they have to be within the same module - you can monitor 4 different parameters of the GEM at the same time or 4 different parameters of the PCM, but you can't monitor live data from the PCM and the GEM at the same time.

FYI - I looked in my EEC-IV book and Ford used an Intel 8061 microprocessor running at a blazing 15 MHz for EEC-IV. The book says that for EEC-V which began in 1994 for certain Ford models, they used a speedy 18 MHz processor for a 20% speed increase. :p

Thanks for the responses. laynlow and v8boatbuilder, do you know if your OBD-2 reads the ABS and airbag codes? dogfriend, what about the diagtek?
-James

dogfriend said:
I know that the Diagtek software can scan ABS and Airbag codes because I bought one and tried it out.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry about that. just making sure. like i said, half the reason i am buying a scanner is to check these ABS and Airbag codes, so I want to make sure.

what about the OBD-2 scanner?

If the OBD-2 can also check those codes, then I would rather purchase the ~$150 scanner over the $1400 Diagtek which i dont have a palm pilot for either.

why is the diagtek so much more expensive? what more does it offer?

thanks again for all the replies, it has been very informative for an area that is hard to get information on.
-James

Back