OBD-II code reader $39.99

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Anyone looking for an inexpensive way to read their codes on their '96 and up Explorer can get a Generic code reader for $39.99 at Harbor Freight Tools right now. It will only read the codes and clear them but that is all the $25 Walmart reader does for the EEC-IV vehicles. I found saw it last weekend when I stopped in there, but the price was $49.99. Right now it is on sale. I don't know how well it works or anything else about it. Here's the link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46030

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Robert!

I went ahead and ordered one. I will let you guys know how it works out.

BTW: They tack-on $11 for S/H:eek:

Robb

If they have the same $39.99 price in their retail stores, then I would go there for the people with one close by. Let us know what you think of it. I might pick one up just to throw in my Explorer since it wouldn't be nearly the loss as my AutoXray would be if it ever got stolen.

Does the $25 Walmart one work on 2002 models?

Or do I need to get the $40 one?

How far back can the $25 one work on?

The $25 Wal-Mart reader is for OBD I systems and only reads up to 1995. Your 2002 Explorer is an OBD II system and requires the $40 one.

There are better units available for OBD II systems, but they are not cheap. I bought an AutoXray OBD II scanner and am very happy with it. It reads much more than just the codes, but it was $229. If you want something for just reading codes give the $40 a shot.

Also, is there a "shortcut" method for checking codes? (like on older GM vehicles)

There is no way to read codes on OBD II vehicles without either a code reader or scanner.

So far, Harbor Freight shipping is lousy! (which is ironic considering their name) It has been over one week now, and for $11 S/H (handling was more than shipping), they haven't gotten me my scanner. I can't imagine the thing being over a couple of pounds and could have been priority mailed for less than $5 in 2-3 days. I will update ya'll on how it works, once it gets here.

Robb

Sorry that I never updated this!!:(

I did get this reader and have been nothing but pleased with it! For $40-$50, depending on if you have a local store, this is an excellent investment! Sure, you might be able to go to AutoZone and get the codes read for free, but IMO, that is a PITA. My local AutoZones suck as far as customer service goes. You have to drive over there, wait in line to tell someone you want to get your codes read, then wait for someone to have a few minutes to help you, then they try to sell you parts after they get the codes (which can easily be the wrong parts). Just not worth it IMO.

I HIGHLY recomend this inexpensive reader to all OBD-II Explorer owners, especially those with higher mileage. Face it, if you have 100K+ miles on your rig, sensors and such are going to start going bad, that is just natural. When you do get a CEL, just pull the reader out of the glove box, plug it in, get your code, then search for it here on the forums, BOOM, you know what is wrong and usually what to do about it. You will probably also notice that you know quite a few people with other types of OBD-II Fords, you will soon become their best friend when they get a CEL.

This reader will not replace a good scanner. If you are interested in the data that a scanner provides, then, by all means, make the investment in a scanner. But, if you are interested in a cheap, convenient way of simply reading (and clearing) codes, this device is a must have.

:thumbsup:

yeah I got the code reader, it is GREAT!! the local shop in town charges $20 just to read OBDII codes so this is a good deal and pays for itself quick.

I ordered my code reader from Habour Frieght like 2 months ago and I JUST got it the other day, I called to see what was going on and they said they are so popular they can't keep them in stock!!!!!

Back