OBD II Wont Read Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD II Wont Read Codes

dylcar01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have an 2003 Explorer with the 4.6l. The check engine light came on and I'm having issues reading the codes. Code reader powers on, but gets stuck at reading the J1850 PWM protocol. If wait long enough it will go to J1850 PWM protocol failed.

I have an Konnwei KW808 OBD II/EOBD. This code reader has worked on several different vehicles. 98 Ranger, 06 Mountaineer, 97 Chevy 1500, 97 Ranger, and 2012 F-250 Powerstroke. On the Powerstroke it pulled up ABS codes as well.

It does have an aftermarket remote start system.

Looking for any ideas on this issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a sanity check I would try the reader again on a different vehicle to isolate whether it's the vehicle or reader. The best test would be on something that uses J1850 like the older Fords.

Try another scan tool.

I am currently trying to figure out how to read codes without a reader. check out this video. it wont solve your problem but it might give you some ideas on how to solve it.

^ Why do we need "ideas"? Hooking up an OBD2 code scanner, especially one with live data, is a known, proven, way to get things done.

You seem to be late to the party, discovering some minimal diagnostic info and suggesting this is a replacement for much more information.

If what you can see is enough to fix a problem, great, that's enough for the time being, but trying to reject getting a code reader is just misguided and going to spend more of your time than it's worth in the long run. Once you have a code reader, there is no point to doing that.

Code readers capable of live data are not expensive at all within the context of vehicle ownership. Many cost $25 or less if the type that uses your phone as the screen and software platform with the reader as just the interface.

Yes I do have a reader.

if you or someone else has been somewhere without a reader knowing this process might come in handy some day.
What if you made n China reader breaks in the middle of no where? Are you going to drive your car and risk making matters worse or are you going to use your AAA membership? Wait the driver has no AAA membership. The power company shut off the power, now your cell phone does not work. What’s the plan now?

Things don’t always go as planned. I just want a plan B. That’s fine if you don’t agree with my plan B. For some people this may be plan A.

^ I keep a reader in my vehicles, but if I had ALL those things happen simultaneously, I reckon that I'd figure it was my time to die, fate had landed on me, except if I were taking a 15+ y/o vehicle out in the middle of nowhere, I'd at least have brought water, and a blanket if it were cold, and would just hike towards civilization or till I got a cell signal.

What seems even less likely than all those things happening simultaneously, is that on top of that, you happen to have with you the tools and parts to fix something that would otherwise prevent continuing to drive.

I'd check the oil and coolant and if it wasn't low enough on either to be a problem or running horrifically, I'd just drive it out. 15+ y/o vehicles are not that valuable.

Yes I do have a reader.

if you or someone else has been somewhere without a reader knowing this process might come in handy some day.
What if you made n China reader breaks in the middle of no where? Are you going to drive your car and risk making matters worse or are you going to use your AAA membership? Wait the driver has no AAA membership. The power company shut off the power, now your cell phone does not work. What’s the plan now?

Things don’t always go as planned. I just want a plan B. That’s fine if you don’t agree with my plan B. For some people this may be plan A.
You buy a decent reader, and pay your bills. If we are doing ridiculous scenarios, what if your cluster burns out in the middle of testing? What now? Flood waters are rising. You.....just.....need.....that.........code.

Bet you wish you had a real scanner.

Back