Obsessed with cleaning & drought | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Obsessed with cleaning & drought

Oaky , some time ago we all posted about how many of us wash out Ex's three and four time a week , top and bottom , inside and out.
Much of the US is in drought conditions and many are under water restrictions. Where I live in Maryland is one such place.
I want to do my part and conserve but I have got to take care of my Ex. Any body have any ideas on how I can keep her clean with out water ??

Ironic that we are in drought conditions but the earth is like 70% water ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most commercial car washes recycle their water and can still be used (at least with our restrictions).

And yea, one day we are going to have to figure out how to economically (and massively) de-salt water.

Robb

whats your restriction like?

where i am in NJ, they have a "no car wash policy." but where my girlfriend lives on long island, they can wash their cars on even days if their address is an even number, and the same for odd numbers, so i just wash it there on weekends.

otherwise, just go through a drive through car wash to keep most of the crap off it. i hate those drive through car washes, but i used to use them in the winter to get the salt off my truck from snowboarding, so i didnt have to freeze my ass off with the hose.

Yeah , no car washing in Anne Aurndel County. But I work for a body shop , we can wash cars but it is encouraged to conserve. I wanna do my part. Plus I don't want some jelous sob seeing my clean truck and doing some thing rude. I really don't want to go through a drive through either. Those are scarey places.

yeah, i hear ya. so just wash it once every other week or so. the drought wont last forever, and, actually, unless you wax your truck pretty often, i wouldnt go washing my truck 3-4 times every week, but you work for a body shop, so you know that (and since you work for a body shop, im assuming that you do wax your truck relatively often.)

my truck's white and its used to being washed 3-4 times per month (about once a week), and i havent washed it in 4 weeks, and i might not get a chance to wash it for another number of weeks, not because of drought conditions, but sometimes sh*t just comes up, and it really annoys me, heh.

Goergia's hit pretty hard with the drought also, but the car wahes here are humming. I don't know if they recycle their water or what, but whenever, I'm there roughly 80% of the stalls are occupied.

I think our water restrictions are something like you cant water at all on even days or something like that. We used to have people come and check our guages and everything, but it seems most people have forgotten about the drought.

I dont mind a little dirt on the old exploder, let's people know I'm not a soccer mom.

btw, even when I spend $5 at a car wash and clean everything as best as I can, the white letters on the tires still have a mud-colored tint :D

Cali Car Duster. Get the good one with the wooden handle. Dust it every day (there have been independent tests done on www.autopia.ws and it was found to not scratch the paint) and every few days or so hit it with the Quick Detailer (Meguiars Final Inspection, Zaino Z6, etc.). It'll keep it dust free and give it that "just detailed" look for weeks without washing!

Mike

Yeah , my truck is black and where we have to park for work is right by a major highway , so it gets dirty rather quickly and we all know about black vehicles and dirt.

Yeah I did pick up one of those dusters. It isn't the actuall brand name " California Duster " it is what ever one Target sells. That is keepin' some of the edge off.

It is raining right now and has been all day. Not soupose to stop till some time Friday evening.
They say it won't be enough but every bit counts I guess.

Originally posted by morrisey0
And yea, one day we are going to have to figure out how to economically (and massively) de-salt water.

Robb

It's already done in the Arabian Sea. Honestly. But the oil capital of the world is there, and as such, it is an EXTREMELY expensive process, but they have the money to do so.

Something I tried once was using a bucket with the soapy water and a second one with clean water. I wasn't explecting it to work well but thought it was worth a try. I takes a while but does a good job. You need two buckets and two sponges so one always stays in the clean water. You have to work in small areas putting the clean water on first, then the water with soap and rinse it with the clean water. When I did this it took three buckets of water. Two of the clean water and one mixed with the soap.

Originally posted by MONMIX
But I work for a body shop , we can wash cars but it is encouraged to conserve.

Um so wash it at work...thats what I would do...

I live in jersey and the same here with restrictions, driving me crazy because I'ma neat freak fro my car. kept it clean for a couple of weeks by detailing everday but once it drizzled while I was driving that was the end of that, now it looks like I was 4wheelin.

The regular use of Zaino Z6 really helps keep dust/dirt away. Damn stuff is like magic.

Remember to turn off your climate control system before going into a "water recycle" car wash, it really smells! :fart:

I remove my light rack from the roof (1.5 minutes) and go thru the car wash. Then home to dry it off and armorall the tires and clean the wheels. Light bar back on (1.8 minutes) and I'm all set to get it dirty again!

Originally posted by VairKing

Um so wash it at work...thats what I would do...
Um , I do. I want to do my part to conserve.

remove my light rack from the roof (1.5 minutes) and go thru the car wash. Then home to dry it off and armorall the tires and clean the wheels. Light bar back on (1.8 minutes) and I'm all set to get it dirty again!

Hey I thought Amour-all was a no-no for tires? Leaches out the natural oils in the rubber that are released when the rubber flexes, and then can cause them to crack. At least that`s what I heard.

I use Armor-All too!! Hope it does not do to my tires what your saying it will.:(

Yeah , the duster and some Meguars Quick Detailer.

Makes a pretty nice waterless clean. Not as good as the real stuff , but for the situation good enough.

Thanks for the input folks.

Oh , pray for rain too.

Yeah...AA will rot your tires very quickly. Use a tire gel like Tire Wet or get Eagle One's tire shine thingys from the store, you won't be disappointed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always use armor all on my tires too. The problem with the stuff you buy is that it is too shiny, I hate that shiney look, I just like em clean, black, and just a hint of wetness. I have heard people use brake fluid on their tires, but that makes em glossy too...

Back