OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like he said above nope. The collectors need to go down inline or just after the rear cylinder tube on each side to clear all the components correctly. One time i searched on summit for hours and looked at every pick of the 200+ 302 headerd they list and i found i think 2 that looked really close and one more set that was a slight maybe. I cut up and customized a few of these frames and bodies and i gives me an idea of what fits. Also i have no inner fenders no radiator overflow or windshield reservoir and i have huge fiberglass fenders witha customized frame and shock towers.

Looks like I am out of luck on finding headers :( until obx decides to get there act together.

The eBay seller told me today they are expecting a restock in 90 days but who knows if that is credible he said his distributor informed him OBX is making more. I want to do an intake manifold spacer but if there is a possibility of getting some headers I'll hold off and kill two birds with one stone

While at the Racing and Performance Expo in IL this last week I had a nice talk with some of the guys from Pertornix, which is under the same roof as JBA headers, we where talking about their headers, and obviously I asked if they had anything for 5.0L '96-'01 Explorers, the guy literally cut me off with a "No, one company makes them and they are very hard to find", I mentioned that I sort of figured that, and mentioned that a company now makes knock offs of them (IE OBX)... He then said while working in the shipping department he noticed a weird trend, he would ship about 6-7 sets of headers to a gentleman named "Kan"??? in San Diego, and about 6 months later he then saw a company named OBX making the exact same headers for half the price. he basically said that he had to be reverse engineering them, and then sending the designs to a shop, or over seas, then selling them as OBX. Sad thing is that there is nothing they can do.

So this guy in San Diego basically got a set of TM headers, Maybe from the Group buy? copied them, and is now selling them to us at a discounted price...

Anyway the guy at the both then said that the early obx stuff was junk, and didn't fit well, and didn't last very long, but he said lately he has been impressed with the quality. He also congratulated him on making money on selling a product, and not going through r and r.

So basically that's my small amount of input for this thread, chances are that we will see these headers again, they just have to make some more. Obviously JBA, and other company's will not be making headers for our trucks ever, so let hope we see more obx headers.

While at the Racing and Performance Expo in IL this last week I had a nice talk with some of the guys from Pertornix, which is under the same roof as JBA headers, we where talking about their headers, and obviously I asked if they had anything for 5.0L '96-'01 Explorers, the guy literally cut me off with a "No, one company makes them and they are very hard to find", I mentioned that I sort of figured that, and mentioned that a company now makes knock offs of them (IE OBX)... He then said while working in the shipping department he noticed a weird trend, he would ship about 6-7 sets of headers to a gentleman named "Kan"??? in San Diego, and about 6 months later he then saw a company named OBX making the exact same headers for half the price. he basically said that he had to be reverse engineering them, and then sending the designs to a shop, or over seas, then selling them as OBX. Sad thing is that there is nothing they can do.

So this guy in San Diego basically got a set of TM headers, Maybe from the Group buy? copied them, and is now selling them to us at a discounted price...

Anyway the guy at the both then said that the early obx stuff was junk, and didn't fit well, and didn't last very long, but he said lately he has been impressed with the quality. He also congratulated him on making money on selling a product, and not going through r and r.

So basically that's my small amount of input for this thread, chances are that we will see these headers again, they just have to make some more. Obviously JBA, and other company's will not be making headers for our trucks ever, so let hope we see more obx headers.

That's exactly what they are doing. If they have in fact gotten better I'll be impressed. They really used to be absolute garbage

The eBay seller told me today they are expecting a restock in 90 days but who knows if that is credible he said his distributor informed him OBX is making more. I want to do an intake manifold spacer but if there is a possibility of getting some headers I'll hold off and kill two birds with one stone

Told me the same.

Any updates on these?

Personally, I wouldn't give these guys a second thought.

No coating is an issue. The poor fitment posts are an issue.

Not to mention the fact I have no response to 2 email inquiries ( spaced over 2 weeks) after talking to them on the phone and being told to send the email questions.

Man I wish I could build headers.

Not to mention the fact I have no response to 2 email inquiries ( spaced over 2 weeks) after talking to them on the phone and being told to send the email questions.

these are cheap trucks, cheap parts for cheap trucks. ill run my explorer with them for as long as possible and ill have considered it a good investment. The extra torque down low was immediately recognizable. :thumbsup:

Doesn't make sense to spend $700 on headers and then $300+ for an install.

these are cheap trucks, cheap parts for cheap trucks. ill run my explorer with them for as long as possible and ill have considered it a good investment. The extra torque down low was immediately recognizable. :thumbsup:

Doesn't make sense to spend $700 on headers and then $300+ for an install.

I'm with you 100% on this. I couldn't bring myself to spend 50% of what I paid for the entire truck for some headers.

So what I gather I am better off saving my time and money and sticking with the stock manifolds, unless I have connections and can have a custom set made.

Why do you need a coating? Stainless Steel is good enough for most guys. I also think that the poor fitment issues can be the reason nobody wants to make Explorer headers, they are tight on space and a PITA to install.

But that's what we got a tight engine bay that's a PITA to work in.

Why do you need a coating? Stainless Steel is good enough for most guys. I also think that the poor fitment issues can be the reason nobody wants to make Explorer headers, they are tight on space and a PITA to install.

But that's what we got a tight engine bay that's a PITA to work in.

You're not kidding! My mechanics hated/hate working on my explorer. Especially taking off the old headers and putting the OBX ones on. Dude was like we have 20+ hours in the thing but he only charged me for 7.

The installation apparently went about as bad as it could. They like my '01 3.0 ranger much better.

So what I gather I am better off saving my time and money and sticking with the stock manifolds, unless I have connections and can have a custom set made.

Have you had a close look at your manifolds? I don't recommend it, I can't believe that they run well as they do...mines torn down to the shortblock right now, I don't really want to do it again anytime soon. Now that there's "room" I may fiddle with foxbody headers I have, i'm sure it's been tried before though. I could smash 6 of the 8 tubes and still be better off.

You and me both, Heck I would buy the fixtures from Torque monster to make them, I am almost half temped to buy a pair from somebody and just copy them for my own use. See how I will have a second truck here pretty soon.

Have you had a close look at your manifolds? I don't recommend it, I can't believe that they run well as they do...mines torn down to the shortblock right now, I don't really want to do it again anytime soon. Now that there's "room" I may fiddle with foxbody headers I have, i'm sure it's been tried before though. I could smash 6 of the 8 tubes and still be better off.

Yes I have looked at them haha and thats why I have been trying to find a set of headers, but if I have no other options then I am stuck.

well. I'm with ya. I got a 5.0 in my ranger and I want headers. I don't care if I do spend half what I got in the truck on headers.My truck is also my toy I spend money on. I just recently spent more on the front and rear suspension than I payed for the whole truck. I don't care if someone thinks its stupid. everyone has something they throw money away on. I hope they do another run on these or if that guy comes through with some sets of the tm's I will spend that much. like the one guy said, I cant believe they can make any power at all with those crappy tiny ass stock things they call an exhaust manifold.

I see this manifold topic is still hot, these 2nd gen Explorers are still very popular.

I've been gone for a while with family issues and work, house, Winter, and I'm sick now too. Time runs too fast.

I finally found myself another 302 AWD this past weekend, to replace my Mounty that came from Milwaukee. This one I think was in Georgia most of its life, and from the one look over, has zero rust. I gave more than I'd want given its many issues(one being without front driveshaft for seven years). It's a black 98 Limited that I will make look just about the same as my Mounty.

Given the high demand still for the 302 manifolds, someone with welding and fabrication skills should invest some time to build a log manifold. Look at common OEM log manifolds, and make a pair. Anything like that with 1.75" primaries going into a larger single log pipe, ending as a 2.5" to 3" collector, it will make much more power than stock, and more than the "others."

I've watched a Volvo owner recently on the Corral put an LS engine into his car. He's working on finishing touches to the mounting, and he'll be close to startup. That LS engine has plenty of exhaust manifold choices to choose from, and some are simple log manifolds.

If an LS engine that makes 400+ hp can run well with log manifolds, why isn't that good enough for a "240hp" GT40 302 engine? I will get some built for mine eventually, hopefully this Summer, after a few other big projects get going.

I wonder if a place like Cherry Bomb would take a look at a prototype manifold and produce them? I'm going to need two pairs, maybe three.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree about the log manifold theory. It's one that I was looking into previously. I do know that Advance Adapters (I think) make a manifold that is a log style. I also think that the old old old OLD 302 and 289 had a log manifold that's available. The biggest issue will be fitment of the P heads and if they'll clear or not. Had I not bought a set of these OBX heads, I was going to do a log manifold myself.

Another example, but different setup, is the Nissan Stagea build the boys at Mighty Car Mods got into. They put a V8 4.1L, with log manifold and a fat turbo and created about 350hp in an AWD setup before running out of fuel pump. That solidified it for me, granted they needed exhaust pressure for the turbo, the log manifold will flow well enough for 99% of us.

Back