OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

I found these randomly on eBay today and googled them and came upon this thread. I was thinking hmmm I better start a thread about this! Looks like you guys are already on the ball!

I really want these but im wondering what the gains are, would be great if someone could do a dyno before and after. I would except I live in the middle of nowhere and have an AWD model with a possibly screwed up VC.

Do these come with everything needed to install? I could just take these to the shop and have them install them with no additional hardware right? Or do I need gaskets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found these randomly on eBay today and googled them and came upon this thread. I was thinking hmmm I better start a thread about this! Looks like you guys are already on the ball!

I really want these but im wondering what the gains are, would be great if someone could do a dyno before and after. I would except I live in the middle of nowhere and have an AWD model with a possibly screwed up VC.

Do these come with everything needed to install? I could just take these to the shop and have them install them with no additional hardware right? Or do I need gaskets?

Gains are pretty good, that's already been tested with the TM and these are pretty obvious that someone stole the design and just copied them just using Chinese steel and probably worse welds.

Gains are pretty good, that's already been tested with the TM and these are pretty obvious that someone stole the design and just copied them just using Chinese steel and probably worse welds.

Thanks thats what I figured.

When there's a need in the market someone at some point will fill it. Just the way it goes I guess. TorqueMonster header guy just didnt care and this is the result I guess.

My 1998 Model year Explorer has GT40P heads correct?

The chinaman thats selling these asked for my VIN to ensure correct "fitment" (that I have GT40P heads) and then comes back and says "sorry you have a 4.9 liter engine".....:hammer:

I set him straight, everyone knows that technically it's a 4.9 liter engine but for all intents are purposes its a "5.0".

I swear... if you cant even get your info right as seller then that really makes me worry.

He literally googled my VIN and just clicked the first link.... but I need new exhaust headers since my drivers side one is leaking/cracked so I guess ill be getting these.

On the passenger side, do you see an egr tube coming off the exhaust manifold? That's your definitive answer.

My 1998 Model year Explorer has GT40P heads correct?

The chinaman thats selling these asked for my VIN to ensure correct "fitment" (that I have GT40P heads) and then comes back and says "sorry you have a 4.9 liter engine".....:hammer:

I set him straight, everyone knows that technically it's a 4.9 liter engine but for all intents are purposes its a "5.0".

I swear... if you cant even get your info right as seller then that really makes me worry.

He literally googled my VIN and just clicked the first link.... but I need new exhaust headers since my drivers side one is leaking/cracked so I guess ill be getting these.

On the passenger side, do you see an egr tube coming off the exhaust manifold? That's your definitive answer.

Doesn't matter; they fit both. As I said already, I have 98-01 TM headers on my 96 5.0. They're tight but they'll fit. You just have to cap off the EGR port.

Well, I bought the exhaust headers. Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully they fit well and go on without much fuss. Will be nice to get the hell rid of these restrictive ones.

Well, I bought the exhaust headers. Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully they fit well and go on without much fuss. Will be nice to get the hell rid of these restrictive ones.

Just don't throw them out in case these OBX ones turn out to be junk and crack.

Just don't throw them out in case these OBX ones turn out to be junk and crack.

Yeah the drivers side one is cracked so itll get thrown out. These new ones better not crack, at least with the amount of driving I do in the explorer. Which is at best once a week.

The listing said these had a lifetime warranty so if they crack I guess ill take em out and deal with it.

I run obx type headers on my 370whp grand prix...had them for 3 years now issues...they are not the prettiest but get job done for half cost same type of name brand headers...will be looking at these for the 01 ex now as torque monsters were to pricey.

Mine arrived yesterday.

No pics yet.

The quality seems to be really good.

They appear to be hand welded, and the welds are absolutely perfect.

The steel appears to be of as good a quality as any other headers I've seen. Even better than some.

I'll get a couple of pics, then in about a month I'll see how they fit.

MT

That's great news! Finally another option that might have potential!

Was curious of everyone's opinion on something.

I've read that with exhaust and header modifications on the 5.0 Explorer there might be some issues with Torque loss as the stock headers and Exhaust were designed in a way to maximize the available torque in the stock drivetrain package. I can't remember which threads but there was some discussion about some individuals installing more open exhausts or different headers and actually seeing a drop in the available torque. Another thread had mentioned that perhaps if the headers and exhaust were changed a engine tune program change would be needed as well.

Does anyone have any actual experience and knowledge about this?

Got mine 3 days ago I've got pictures I'm trying to figure out how to link them. They look good feel sturdy.I'm going to start putting them in tonight and I'll make a thread when it's all said and done this weekend

Was curious of everyone's opinion on something.

I've read that with exhaust and header modifications on the 5.0 Explorer there might be some issues with Torque loss as the stock headers and Exhaust were designed in a way to maximize the available torque in the stock drivetrain package. I can't remember which threads but there was some discussion about some individuals installing more open exhausts or different headers and actually seeing a drop in the available torque. Another thread had mentioned that perhaps if the headers and exhaust were changed a engine tune program change would be needed as well.

Does anyone have any actual experience and knowledge about this?

The stock exhaust is extremely restrictive, and the computer tune is programmed for that lower airflow. When the airflow is increased enough, the existing PCM tune will not be able to maintain the proper A/F ratio, that's what you know of a computer "tuner" for. They correct the programming to obtain the ideal A/F ratio, and timing.

If you alter the airflow in any way which ends up "feeling" like a loss somewhere, without adjusting the PCM tune, then it is running lean(or rich). That's not a permanent loss of power, simply a condition of running lean or rich, and you can correct it.

Given any airflow changes you can think of, the tune can be corrected. By increasing airflow and matching the fuel to that, there will be no losses of power, only gains(at all rpm's).

Don't worry about going too big, nobody is going to fit a header or exhaust in the Explorer that is too big, there isn't room for too big in these things. Primaries that are 2" would be too big, and that cannot fit... these 1.5" headers are still too small, but way better than stock.

Plan for a PCM flasher and get a new tune.

That's good news, very interested in fit and quality. I have been wanting to give this a little more power to break things with!!!!!

The stock exhaust is extremely restrictive, and the computer tune is programmed for that lower airflow. When the airflow is increased enough, the existing PCM tune will not be able to maintain the proper A/F ratio, that's what you know of a computer "tuner" for. They correct the programming to obtain the ideal A/F ratio, and timing.

If you alter the airflow in any way which ends up "feeling" like a loss somewhere, without adjusting the PCM tune, then it is running lean(or rich). That's not a permanent loss of power, simply a condition of running lean or rich, and you can correct it.

Given any airflow changes you can think of, the tune can be corrected. By increasing airflow and matching the fuel to that, there will be no losses of power, only gains(at all rpm's).

Don't worry about going too big, nobody is going to fit a header or exhaust in the Explorer that is too big, there isn't room for too big in these things. Primaries that are 2" would be too big, and that cannot fit... these 1.5" headers are still too small, but way better than stock.

Plan for a PCM flasher and get a new tune.

I would certainly expect the computer could adjust accordingly to changing conditions or is that too much to ask of a 2nd gen explorer?

Pretty much all modern cars will, my 2015 VW Jetta and 2013 Impala will change according to octane(93) and produce a few more ponies.

Its my understanding these are bolt ons that won't require tuning to produce more power, sure tuning will help these be as efficient as possible but I never heard of a tune being required.

The computers(PCM's) do not maintain perfect A/F ratios with typical modifications. They try but as airflow is altered the A/F gets farther and farther from ideal. That's why virtually every stock EFI car made will gain power with a proper computer tune, they improve the resulting A/F ratio.

You can make all kinds of changes and keep driving it, but the result is not maximized. If you want all of the potential power(and get rid of the (everyone calls it a loss of bottom end)), then retune the computer. It's not cheap of course, so try to make your big changes before the new PCM tuning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would certainly expect the computer could adjust accordingly to changing conditions or is that too much to ask of a 2nd gen explorer?

Pretty much all modern cars will, my 2015 VW Jetta and 2013 Impala will change according to octane(93) and produce a few more ponies.

Its my understanding these are bolt ons that won't require tuning to produce more power, sure tuning will help these be as efficient as possible but I never heard of a tune being required.

Tune is not required. Just recommended for max gain. I never tuned my truck after I put my TM on.

Back