OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

I would have fixed the timing cover before doing headers haha that's a lot of coolant to be losing in 300 miles. I would try that stop leak crap. The name of the good one is evading me at the moment. Small blue bottle, everyone says it actually works really well. If you're scrapping the truck and don't care about it I'd dump that stuff in there.

Hey man, thanks for the recommendation on that that stuff in the blue bottle. It's not leaked a drop since I put it in 3 weeks ago!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang missed seeing that they were on sale.

Hey man, thanks for the recommendation on that that stuff in the blue bottle. It's not leaked a drop since I put it in 3 weeks ago!

No problem, glad to hear it worked for ya.:thumbsup:

OBX Racing Headers have arrived for BIG WHITE

OBX Racing Headers have arrived!

Up until recently the only headers available for the 5.0 2nd Generation Ford Explorer were Torque Monster headers (allegedly currently made by Al's Headers in Anaheim, California). The problem with Torque Monster headers is many people have reported that Al's Headers is not responsive to any inquiries or telephone calls and will no longer make these headers for the 2nd Generation 5.0 Liter Ford Explorer. Torque Monster headers sold for $789 to $889. Torque Monster claimed that their headers "showed an increase of 20 horsepower and 35-40 ftlbs of torque" and "obtained 21.4 mpg"

I noticed several months ago via some mentions on some of the Ford Explorer forums that OBX started offering a set of headers for the 5.0 2nd Generation (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001) Ford Explorer at only $399.00. Initially there were not many reports about the quality of the headers offered by OBX. Prior to "Black Friday" a few reports started coming in that indicated that these OBX Racing Headers might be the real deal. During "Black Friday" OBX ran a special for $100.00 their headers so I decided to go ahead and pick up a set and see what they can do.

I'm not sure if you can (or would want to) powder coat headers but I am going to do some research on that before installation. I intend on doing a before and after dyno to see what real world performance numbers can be had from the OBX Racing Sports headers. These headers are the only option currently (and fortunately) available for the 5.0 2nd Gen Ford Explorer.

More photos at the truck's Facebook page link in my sig

Attachments

• 20151210_092943.jpg
    20151210_092943.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 630
  • 20151210_093001.jpg
    20151210_093001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 591

Cant wait for more actual data.

They look great in my opinion. I can't wait to see what happens once you install them

I won't say I'm pissed I just got used torque monsters a year ago, but yeah I'm kinda pissed I bought torque monsters. Mine were not even coated.

Can't be mad for jumping on them when they were available.

I'm just going to pretend they're better build quality than the OBX to help myself sleep at night haha. Mine do have a cool little plate with angry eyes on them though.:D

my intentions was to do my manifolds i stumble a crossed them on eBay i figured i share them with the forum right now money is tight i cant get them at this moment but i will get them as soon as possible
this forum has been very helpful to me a lot of very useful information i love my Explorer i wont get rid of it
this is my next project for my truck

No, already was involved in that thread (one of the reasons I've purchased) since it popped up.

Just waited until the price dropped $100.00

:thumbsup:

Threads merged. Let's keep one thread per topic please!

I'm just going to pretend they're better build quality than the OBX to help myself sleep at night haha. Mine do have a cool little plate with angry eyes on them though.:D

Believe me. Having seen many obx pieces on various cars you're better off.

So I just got my set yesterday.
Planning on taking them to get ceramic coated.

P1010581.jpg

P1010584.jpg

P1010585.jpg

P1010587.jpg

P1010589.jpg

P1010590.jpg

P1010591.jpg

P1010593.jpg

I got a pair of OBX!!

So I got the OBX headers for my 99 mounty and they've been running fantastic!! I followed mountaineer green and another's install. They work perfectly!! Fit on like a charm. They are the same style as TorqueMonster. Ill post pics tomarrow.

Results? I can spin the tires from a start now. Instant torque gains! I had my mounty Dyno tested before the install. 177 hp and 220ftlbs *at rear wheels*
I'm going to get it Dyno tuned and tested before and after the tune to see the results of the headers.

One thing I'd have to say though is BUY A NEW SET OF GASKETS! The ones that come with it are single gasket per tube. TERRIBLE. very hard to work with.

Also, it took me like 3 freaking days to instal these damn things... I'm so happy with them though!

ANY questions about the headers and I'll try to ask them.
PICS SOON!
-Darren

So I got the OBX headers for my 99 mounty and they've been running fantastic!! I followed mountaineer green and another's install. They work perfectly!! Fit on like a charm. They are the same style as TorqueMonster. Ill post pics tomarrow.

Results? I can spin the tires from a start now. Instant torque gains! I had my mounty Dyno tested before the install. 177 hp and 220ftlbs *at rear wheels*
I'm going to get it Dyno tuned and tested before and after the tune to see the results of the headers.

One thing I'd have to say though is BUY A NEW SET OF GASKETS! The ones that come with it are single gasket per tube. TERRIBLE. very hard to work with.

Also, it took me like 3 freaking days to instal these damn things... I'm so happy with them though!

ANY questions about the headers and I'll try to ask them.
PICS SOON!
-Darren

What gaskets did you go with? What header bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What gaskets did you go with? What header bolts?

I just went to Oreileys auto parts and they ordered me a set of factory gaskets. They were 10$ for a set of two. The header bolts I went to, and dare I say it, PEP BOYS.... And they have an entire section of bolts. The ones that fit are the
5/8 16 - 1 (ratchet size, thread size, length of bolt)

Back