1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Octane and performance

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Peter Westling, December 7, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Peter Westling

Peter Westling Active Member

City, State:
      Rosersberg, Sweden
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 XLT
      Hi all.
      I think the normal gas in US is 87 - 89 octanes, right? We have unleaded 95 96 and 98 here in Swe. How does that affect the engine in a hp view? Is it noticable? Can I adjust the computer for a specific octane and make the engine more efficient?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Typically, unless you have one of the Crane adjustable plug in jobs, there is no other way to adjust your computer except to change the chip.

There isn't really a HP difference from running higher octane gas, except that you can run a bit more advance on the timing without detonation. Your Ex should have a knock sensor that automatically backs off the timing if it hears detonation (pre-igniton of the gasoline mixture while the piston is still on the upstroke), which will cut a tad of the hp out of an engine, but nothing really serious.

BTW, You can get a higher grade of gasoline at most stations - you just have to pay for it... Most pumps feature 3 grades - 87 - 89 - 93 or some combination like that. Some even have more - but they are sort of hard to find while traveling - sort of luck of the draw. You can also run an octane booster if needed... I do that when I wheel my truck so that it has what it needs when it gets lugged sometimes. I want all the power I can get in certain circumstances.

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Don't forget.. Octane is measured (displayed at the pump) differently in different countries... I haven't been able to find a good link explaining it..

It the states we use the average of the 2 types of octane measurements (RON + MON)/2 The way I understand it, some countries only show one of the octane numbers ( I can't remember which)...

~Mark