Odometer and Tripometer has stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odometer and Tripometer has stopped working

TonyLo

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4.0L V6 2WD
The other day me and my buddies changed the spark plugs and an oxygen sensor for my explorer so I could pass emissions. Ford did not make those spark plugs and oxygen sensors easy to change let me tell you. So through the combination of disconnecting the battery and having to force our way into some hard to reach places under the hood my odometer and tripometer has stopped working. I am pretty sure it stopped working after that day but it could have stopped on its own a few days before but im pretty sure it was after this. Can anyone help me out with how to fix my odometer and tripometer?

You probably somehow disturbed the wiring for the speed sensor. I think its in the same harness as the O2 sensors.

The sensor is in your tranny or t-case if you have 4x4. Follow the wires back and make sure nothing is cut/melted/etc.

I appreciate the help but its actually 2 wheel drive so how would that change things?

The speed sensor is in the tail shaft of the transmission. That is probably the first place to start. Check all the wiring connections under the car and see if you disturbed one when you were changing the O2 sensors.

Back