1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Odometer Tell-Tale

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by phantaztix, August 23, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. phantaztix

phantaztix New Member

City, State:
    Escondido, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 XLT AWD V8
    I'm curious, looking around the forums and searching the internet I haven't been able to find anyone who seems to know that the Pre-1994 Ford 5-digit odometers have a tell-tale for when they have rolled over 100,000 miles. On the left hand side of the 1/10ths number (white) a wear indicator scratches into the number wheel approximately .030-.050 inboard as it turns over to 100k miles. It then does it again even further inboard (all the way to the edge of the number) at 200k miles.

Just thought I would throw that out as a help for anyone looking to buy a Ford vehicle and who isn't sure of the mileage. My X has over 200k miles and I could easily fool someone into thinking it's just over 100k. :usa:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. iwannax

iwannax New Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    '94 XLT
    interesting....I'm going to have to look at mine and i should see 2 score lines

4. Blacksheep Josh

Blacksheep Josh Slinky+Escalator=Fun

City, State:
    Statesboro, GA
    '01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
    Mine should have 2, but I only see 1... I'll look closer with a magnifying glass, maybe it's just not noticeable, but interesting though.

5. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Hrm, I'll have to look at mine as it rolled 3 times already. I also have one somewhere in the shed that only rolled once.

~Mark

6. iwannax

iwannax New Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    '94 XLT
    Yup theres a score real close to the left side of the 1/10 digits. Huh I thought that was how it was supposed to be...very nice, glad to know that!

7. 92exp4x4

92exp4x4 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Covington, Kentucky
    92 XL 2-door and others
    Didn't know that, gonna have to look at mine agian. I had a junk one apart just to see how it went together. I never noticed anything like that.

8. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omao, Kauai
    '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
    Cool info, I'll have a look at mine.

9. 92exp4x4

92exp4x4 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Covington, Kentucky
    92 XL 2-door and others
    I looked at a spare in my parts pile, I saw no mechanism to make a scratch in the tumbler. Where did you find this info? I'd like to see where you found it and read it for myself.

The spare gauges came from a running vehicle I striped and I have another bad speedo, that I replaced in one of my Explorers. Neither had any type of a mechanism to do this. I did however, notice that on all my vehicles and my dad's, and the spares, that a wear mark from the tumbler keepers (behind the numbers) shows on the left side of each number. The white one just shows it more. But, if you really look at it you can see a mark on all of them.

Could this feature have been on some certain models? Certain years maybe? I know I have seen some late production 94s with an actual 6 digit odometer before. There is one in the junkyard near my house right now actually.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, i'm just really interested in this topic. I would love to know the actual mileage of my vehicles.

10. ragajungle

ragajungle Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
    I heard that too.... I would make sense that there be SOME way of telling... I did a search on google images and nothing... hmph

11. Malchi

Malchi Active Member

City, State:
    Ontario, California
    '91 X 4x4
    My '91 has 2 "scratches". A long one that goes all the way across, and a short one below that. Does that mean I have 327k on it, not the 127k I thought it had?

But, then when the odometer turns, the "scratches" go away for awhile.

Unless I'm seeing something else..... Anybody got any pictures of the "scratches"?