OEM Connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Connector

My dad has a 96 explorer and is trying to find a bumper mountable trailer wiring connection that will connect to his oem connection. I hope that makes sense.

He found one for an 02-06 model that will allow you to mount the plug-in onto the bumper, but he didnt know if the trailer harness connection on the vehicle side was the same or not for his year. Can someone help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The connection that he bought was with the four flat, he would prefer to have a permanent connection mounted to his bumper so then he doesnt have to mess with hooking and unhooking the oem connector from the vehicle every time

The 7-pin will require a bunch of additional wiring. If the trailer is big enough that it needs electric brakes, it's too big to be pulling with a 96 Explorer anyways.

As for the 4-flat, any Ford dealership should be able to get the wiring kit for it. The truck is already pre-wired with all the necessary fuses and relays for the trailer lights. The OEM harness plugs into a connector tucked up behind the driver's side taillight. If you lay on your back and look straight up behind the light, you'll see a round ~1" diameter gray plug with a cap on it. The OEM wiring will connect there.

Also, be sure that the dealership sells the whole kit. They can order just the wiring for about $13 IIRC, but the whole kit comes with the wiring and a handy mounting bracket, bolt, and nut for the plug to hang from on the bumper.

-Joe

you wouldn't have the part number for the whole kit do you, the dealership I talked to said they only can get the wire and not the bracket for the bumper

bye the way thanks so much for all the help

I don't offhand... I'll look in the file when I get home... I think the receipt might be in there...

-Joe

AZ sells a 7 prong plug with a 4 flat connection on it as well. I got it, a wiring kit and brake controller for ~$100.

I cut a hole in my bumper to mount my plug......

lift_002_Medium_.jpg

Back