Off-road 2001 Sport build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

imacker35

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ford Explorer Sport
So I'm new to the forum and am in serious need of some information on the right lifts, tires, and wheels to get for a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD:JP:. Completely bone stock, just picked it up over the summer and was hoping to get a serious off-roading rig.

So far I am looking for a 3-5 inch rear lift on a budget, I don't want cheaply made products though, but not something that I need to pay an arm and a leg for. Also I am looking at how to lift the torsion suspension in the front to match the rear. Of course with all this I'll need to put some beefy tires and off road wheels on. I already have the wheels picked out but I am really cautious on which tires to buy since I can't pay too much, but I want to get the job done.

Please reply or message me on Skype for a conversation about the topic only!:thumbsup:

Don't let my age fool you, I've been around cars nearly my whole life but I'm just now starting to get in the adventurous world of off-roading.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look through the MODIFIED FORUMS for info on lifts, bigger tires, etc.

With 2WD (meaning true 2WD with no front differential) lifting the first 3 inches or so is simple and cheap (like $20 to $100) -- longer rear shackles and crank up the front torsion bars with longer bolts. Only downside is stiffer ride. After that the cost and labor required go up fast with body and suspension lifts. 2WD for offroad is not my idea of good, but then my experience is with mud, ice, snow, and steep places. For that matter you cannot get up my driveway with 2WD after a bit of snow and drifting. If you plan to go where ground clearance is the only real obstacle then 2WD should be fine. Recommend you look into a limited slip or locker and probably lower gears for the bigger tires.

While there are a couple 2WD off road rigs on here, I wouldn't spend money on a 2WD rig for off road. The places I go with mine, 2WD would not work out. My open front/rear diffs sometimes make it challenging enough. But I don't know what offroading in TX is all about.

Your going to pay an arm and a leg for a 4wd conversion using ifs if you want true 5 inch of suspension lift or sas but that gets pricey too so next bet would be 4wd conv ersion with ifs and torsion twist shckles and maybe add a leaf for 2-3 and then body lift. For a total of 2-3 suspension lift and 3 inch body but then 33-35 are capable of being ran. P.s. offroad is not cheap trust me. Or you could just baja it out and get limited slip rear and have a 2wd ball tt 2 inches in front and get aftermarket fenders and maybe 33s and mud and anything your 2wd u think can handle

Thanks guys! Off-roading in the surrounding areas of where I live isn't too terribly hard, unless you really screw up, 2WD is fine. Also, what's the difference between baja and off-road?

Off road here concists of mud rock crawling and hill climbing. So 4wd is needed baja is more for flatish ground and some mud p.s baja isnt mud but it can be done and its big tires and speed. Stock stuff is ok but once you gef to were you plan to go real fast and start jumping and stuff like that thats when you need stronger parts also its baja ist about having massive truck its about clearing big tires while keeping a good cener of gravity

Looking to do a conversion with my rear axle since it's sitting above my rear leafs and I was wondering how much lift it would give me if I get the leafs above the axle.

I'm up about as high as I can go without a body lift. I have an 03 Sport with TT and Torsion Keys in the front. I have Add A Leaf and Shackles in the back. I also went from 29" tires to 32"

I'm up about as high as I can go without a body lift. I have an 03 Sport with TT and Torsion Keys in the front. I have Add A Leaf and Shackles in the back. I also went from 29" tires to 32"

What tires do you recommend as an A/T tire and what size because I was told I would get anywhere from 5.5 to 6 inches of lift in the rear and 5.5 in the front with TT and keys. Do I need longer brake lines or anything of the sort like new shocks? I know all about the lift but nothing past that so I want to know what I need to get, money isn't really a problem, just as long as it's reasonable! Thanks!

Also I'm looking at tires and I love the way the Mud Grapplers look and was looking at a 33x12.5r17 and wondered if after the lift is complete if those would fit or if another size would. Thanks!

I have 32's...mine are just passenger tires but, they still scrub a little on the front tires. All of the lines were fine, you may need new shocks, that's something that I'm looking into now.

I was thinking about putting some 15/17x10 wheels on and 33x12.5r15/17 off road tires. I should get about 6 inches total so I'm hoping if I just put a small block spacer in the rear and spring spacer in the front I in theory should be able to get by without any rubbing.

A block in the rear will lower you and you don't have springs in the front.

You should start reading here.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208483
Nobody's going to type all the information contained there into this thread all over again but all you need to know is already in that thread. Good luck.

Set a budget...a real budget that is realistic. You aren't getting new wheels and tires for much less than $1000 if you're going up in both wheel and tire size (probably more like $1,200 or more). Buy a matching spare tire. Get an alignment. Make sure your ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, and brakes are in excellent condition before you even begin to spend money on anything else. A lifted truck that chews tires or can't stop is worse than a stock truck.

OffTrac is right, it's a crappy (but correct) answer. Someone on this site has done pretty much everything you are considering. Still nothing wrong with asking questions. I have been on here for a year and I find new mods and ideas constantly.

A block in the rear will lower you and you don't have springs in the front.

You should start reading here.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208483
Nobody's going to type all the information contained there into this thread all over again but all you need to know is already in that thread. Good luck.

Set a budget...a real budget that is realistic. You aren't getting new wheels and tires for much less than $1000 if you're going up in both wheel and tire size (probably more like $1,200 or more). Buy a matching spare tire. Get an alignment. Make sure your ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, and brakes are in excellent condition before you even begin to spend money on anything else. A lifted truck that chews tires or can't stop is worse than a stock truck.

OffTrac is right, it's a crappy (but correct) answer. Someone on this site has done pretty much everything you are considering. Still nothing wrong with asking questions. I have been on here for a year and I find new mods and ideas constantly.

I'm not sure if it's what you meant by crappy, but I certainly didn't mean that in any kind of condescending or negative way. Just pointing out that there's no better way to get all that great info that built up over years into one quick thread.

Offtrac is right on track (no pun intended). There is way too much information that has already been covered. There have been several people who have done everything from a TT to SAS with tons of pictures.

If you are planning to keep the 2WD, I would just do a TT with warrior shackles in the back. Maybe add a small body lift. Then throw a lunchbox locker in the rear with maybe a re-gear for larger tires.

There is even a thread that outlines the approximate size tires you could fit with multiple combinations of lifts.

Use the search button and then set a budget and go for it.

No harm meant at all OffTrac, I just experienced some of the same things when I first started on the site. I got the same answer that he is getting now, at the time I thought it was a crappy answer but it was actually the best advice.

I'm not sure if it's what you meant by crappy, but I certainly didn't mean that in any kind of condescending or negative way. Just pointing out that there's no better way to get all that great info that built up over years into one quick thread.

Torsion twist , add a leaf in rear, shackles and a 3 inch body lift. That's what I have on my sport. Works great

Back