• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Light Question

reef

Reaction score
City, State
Valdosta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone, Im new to the forum but will be a very active member now that Ive finally gotten my 2007 explorer xlt. Its the dark green V6 with tan leather interior and 3rd row seating. Ill post some pictures later, its completely stock right now. Okay so I have a question, well really 2 questions. I've always liked how a lot of dodge guys have their offroad lights behind the grille so there kind of hidden, but still do their job. Is there enough room behind our grille to do something like this? If so, then do I have to use expensive offroad PIAA or hella lights? or are there some cheaper sort I can use, maybe not originally intended for offroad automotive use but can be wired to work. If anyone can answer these questions I'd greatly appreciate it. I look forward to being an active member of the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few guys have light bars behind the lower part of the grille

that looks really good actually. looks like its made to fit there. ever thought about getting white HIDs to make it match better? Just my personal opinion i think thats be just that much better for not too much more

that looks really good actually. looks like its made to fit there. ever thought about getting white HIDs to make it match better? Just my personal opinion i think thats be just that much better for not too much more

Thanks! I don't really care if it matches...I just like being able to see. Only time I use it is when driving in really dark places with no oncoming traffic, so it's not like anybody is around to see what it looks like at the receiving end.

Having said that I do feel the stock headlights seem a bit dim at times. I've been thinking of doing a HID conversion, but if I do it at all I think I may just want to go all out and do a projector HID retrofit...I like the focused light and sharp beam cutoff that those seem to produce. Probably would stick with something in the 5000K range.

Back