Off Roading near Pasadena California | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Roading near Pasadena California

BluSploder

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hi i have a stock 93 explorer xlt 4x4 and have two friends with 2wd rangers with off road wheels and tires. We have been wanting to go wheeling and just hoon around off road, we are looking for something not to difficult either. I have been looking for some places but cant find much other than Azuza canyon. If any locals who are familiar with the area could help me out that would be great. Also any suggestions as to what we should bring along with straps?

On another note, do you think its a pretty even match up between 4x4 with street tires and 2x4 with offroad tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..You ought to come out with us in October to Truckhaven both you and your friends...You would have a blast and learn alot from alot of people with the same and modified vehicles like yours..;)

..Hungry Valley (Gorman) would be a good place for a day or weekend by you..

..I'm sure a couple other members in your area will probably also pop into this thread with some suggestions...

..It's also about that time of year we will do a "Main Divide Road" run down here in the OC..:burnout:

Truckhaven is always fun...:smoke:

Rowher Flats OHV off of Sierra Hwy north of Canyon Country can be fun. There are plenty of trails there that should easily be doable with a 2WD (one takes you through the backside of the area to the top of a hill with spectacular views, which has some large oak trees at the top you can have a small picnic under even). I would suggest putting a little weight in the bed of those 2WDs behind the axle against the tailgate for some added traction (empty 2WD pickups don't do well on even relatively mild inclines, ask me how I know lol). Ice chests and jerrycans (among other things) are good for this purpose.

There are also some real steep trails there (such as Rowher Trail itself), which should still be doable in a stock 4x4 rig if you want to test your limits... Just stay away from the side that goes straight up from the Bouquet Reservoir, you'll need lockers and probably 33" tires minimum for that (also Lookout Trail might be pretty torn up too).

4x4 > 2WD... tires are irrelevant there.
If the 2WD has a locking differential and the 4x4 has two open diffs, then they'd be a little closer in terms of overall capability, but the 4x4 would still handily reign king on steep, but smooth hills.

Let's meet at Azusa Canyon

..You should get some interest for Azusa but I myself haven't cared to play in the mudhole for a number of years..

..I am checking with Tom of Badlands Offroad to see if he and 4wheelparts are holding another Customer Appreciation day up at Hungry Valley in September..;)

..We also have Truckhaven in October which is definitely a "to do" on any members list if just wanting to meet other members or even camp out for the weekend.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389230

..You might also want to keep an eye on the California section to see if any other local runs are coming up..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

I will post in the other thread when I hear back from Tom..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315786&page=22

..I'm still working further South so making a local trip right now is impossible with my schedule but surely some others could make it out to Azusa with you..Hit up members R.J. and Stic-o...:D

Azusa Canyon now has a full playground with No Mud

Let's meet up by Azusa my fellow Explorer/Ranger people

There is some trails in LA i have been waiting to go to but i want to go in a group of truck, i know of some other places as well

Back