Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

OffTrac's High Series Console CB Install

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by OffTrac, September 1, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    I used the side outlet for the hot (I know, I know, but it was so easy) and grounded at the top left bolt in the picture.

[​IMG]

I cut through the console for the wiring, mounted the bracket and put in place. Pretty easy, out of the way and I don't have anything by anyone's legs, have the mic mounted out of the way (the cord fits nicely behind the unit but isn't shown in the picture) and still have use of the storage area.

[​IMG]

Blurry picture but this shows how tight I got it to hug the front of the console. The fuse is the one that I blew when I hit the ground while tapping the hot. Pulled the one from the radio to finish the install. Gotta get a new fuse tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Another picture. Excuse the dirt. Still haven't gotten a chance to clean out after the Durhamtown run. Sprayed down the undercarriage pretty good, but haven't touched the mess inside.

[​IMG]

Got the Little Wil magnet mount. Picking up good back there. Was at 1.3 on Ch 19. May play around with it more some other time, but this is good enough for the initial install, IMO.

[​IMG]

Ran the wire down into the door and tucked behind the weatherstripping. After this point, you can only see it again in the second picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for everyone's help on here. I will probably be back with questions.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Not bad, wish I had such a convenient place to put my radio but there is stuff there on my ex, not that my current radio would have fit there anyway...

I am curious how did that roof bracket affected the tuning of the antenna?

The DB

4. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Looks good. Thanks for posting all the photos. That looks like it'll do the job, especially if it's mainly for trail runs.

5. 01STrunner

01STrunner Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greer, SC
    2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    Have a far away pic to show the overall difference by chance?

6. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    I'll get one tomorrow.

7. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    nice work, may i suggest giving a little slack and then using some zip ties to get the cb cable up on the cross bars? the cable will scuff your roof up over time as it sloshes around up there. also, you wont have to worry about it getting hung up and snagged on anything.

oh yeah, make sure you get up there every now and then and lift the magnet up and give the roof a little cleaning. that magnet will also scuff the hell out of your roof, and it can be made worse by any dust that gets near or around the magnet.

last thing, if you dont have an swr meter to tune that bad boy, you can find them on ebay for about 10 bucks. a must have for an cb radio owner. there is also a good youtube video on how to use one on rightchannelradio.com

again, nice work!

8. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    Thanks for the suggestions Lono. Well noted. I actually cleaned under the magnet today and moved the antenna over to the passenger's side as I am not getting as good a signal as I was the first day. Not sure what changed but I also think I need to redo the ground as I have a lot of noise. Haven't retuned it because I was really just rotating tires today and had to move it anyway to get to the spare (that's another story for another post coming soon). Since I moved it, there's a lot of slack and plenty to zip tie to the roof rail.

I do have an SWR meter and did tune it on the day of installation and was getting 1.3 on 19. At 1 and 40, the channels were dangerously close to unusable...got some work to do. Anyway, long story short, I still need to do some more work on the CB. Will update with progress.

Here's the picture a little further out that you asked for Patrick.

[​IMG]

9. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    you might be getting a better signal with the mount off to the right because the wiring going to the third brakelight might be causing a little interference. i found the same happened when i installed a cb radio for my buddy on his f-150. thats a great spot for your radio, very clean. if you can, the best place to power the radio is directly to the battery. next option i would suggest is a fuse tap to a fuse that is running a circutt thats not being used but will power on and off as you turn the key. i tapped into fuse #16 on the box to the left of the steering wheel.

10. 01STrunner

City, State:
    Greer, SC
    2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    I do like where you mounted the radio. If only I hadn't already mounted my XM cradle there. It takes up a lot less room than where I have it.

11. WidgetTrac

WidgetTrac Active Member

City, State:
    Cypress, TX
    2001 Sport Trac 2wd
    You could try moving the magnet mount up to the hub of the spare wheel in the rack - it would be a foot higher, farther from the brake light, and not front-blocked by the steel wheel and rack. Also it would not scratch up your roof, and if somebody tried to steal your spare while you were using the CB you'd be alerted by static or signal loss!

12. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    I'm not sure that would give you a very good ground plane.

13. 01STrunner

City, State:
    Greer, SC
    2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    Rizzjc is right. The wheel doesn't have enough surface area to get a good signal.

14. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    Still haven't had a chance to mess with it. Add to my schedule that archery season has started and I don't know when I'll get to it.

15. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    Moved the power to the fuse panel inside the door. Also moved the ground back to the bolt shown in the picture. SWR readings were at 1.1 at Ch19, 1.3 at Ch1 and 1.5 at Ch40. I'll accept that. I should also note that previously I had moved the antenna to the passenger side of the roof but that didn't help. I moved it back to center today.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of how I ran the wiring and antenna from the CB. Easy enough. If I remove it, I can just get a new piece of rubber and nobody's the wiser.

[​IMG]

16. will4vols

will4vols New Member

City, State:
    Vol Nation
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer
    where did you run the wire to the inside fuse box, or how did you, Im about to install a cb in mine

17. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    From under the console, it runs along the bottom of the dash and comes out in the gap beside the fuse panel. It was really very simple and will probably make more sense when you see it if my description isn't clear. I'll try to remember to take pictures on my lunch break.

18. will4vols

will4vols New Member

City, State:
    Vol Nation
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer
    did you ever take that pic? Is the radio wire that goes to the fuse box the same on a (( mounty as yours? im wanting to connect mine through there and i havent figured out where it is....

19. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    Sorry, not yet. I'll set a reminder for tomorrow.

20. OffTrac

OffTrac Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Dublin, GA
    '01 Sport Trac 4x4
    Sorry for the delay. Here's where the wire comes out from under the dash into the fuse panel. I just ran it there initially as a test, assuming I would need to wire directly to the battery but it's worked fine here for now. Finding a good ground was the more difficult part.

[​IMG]