Oil Change interval | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I took mine in to my dealer just after 1,000 miles and they only charged my $31 for synthetic blend. That's better than any quick lube place around here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things aren't that cheap in the United Kingdom. That's the reason I ordered the filters (so many) and did it myself.

Look online for dealer coupons- my local dealer using Motorcraft syn-blend 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter charges $14.95 including free popcorn and big screen TV... :D

Check http://www.fordowner.com for service specials.

Currently The Works is $39.95 or less and includes:

The Works. Fuel Saver Package.

Oil Change
Tire Rotation
Brake Inspection
Multi-Point Inspection
Fluid Top-Off
Battery Test
Filter Check
Belts and Hoses Check

Up to five quarts of Motorcraft® Premium Synthetic Blend oil and Motorcraft oil filter. Taxes, diesel vehicles and disposal fees extra. Hybrid battery test excluded. See participating dealership for vehicle exclusions and details.

Always remember to check the oil level after anyone changes your oil, look for both too low and too high of oil level.

krog77,
where exactly did you place your floor jack on your Ex? Did you jack the whole front end up from the center rail secton by the radiator? I posted my results of my first oil change on here several months ago with a pic questioning if anyone used that rail to support th Ex. I didn't use it it as I was/is still not sure if it's designed to support the weight of the whole front end.

Tom

just replaced our oil - the sensor went off - at 13,000 miles - took it to the dealer and it was FREE! great deal - great car.

@krog77, thanks for posting, how clean was the used oil after 3k miles?

My dealer gives me free oil changes, tire rotations and car washes for life.

Probably stick to every 3k but we'll see.

Good job on the DIY. 3,000 mile intervals would be a waste. And +10,000 does not seem too smart either. With the 2007 Explorer I had the oil changed at 5,000 miles. With the new 2011 I am doing 6-7,000 miles. Full synthetic. First oil change was done at the 1,000 mile mark.

@krog77, thanks for posting, how clean was the used oil after 3k miles?

The only real way to know this is with a used oil analysis with a lab like Blackstone.

I did my first oil change at 1k too with motorcraft syn/blend... i do my own changes on all my cars and the X is one of the easiest to change quickly and cleanly.

will go full synthetic at about 5k. but I do plan to stretch out my changes too... 5-7k... using the new mobil1 high performance that they rate at 15k intervals. $28 for 5 quart jug at Walmart... can't beat that.

Good job on the DIY. 3,000 mile intervals would be a waste. And +10,000 does not seem too smart either. With the 2007 Explorer I had the oil changed at 5,000 miles. With the new 2011 I am doing 6-7,000 miles. Full synthetic. First oil change was done at the 1,000 mile mark.

The only way to know 100% is to have the used oil analysis, as mentioned. There was a good article from Edmund that described the internal oil monitoring computer systems were very accurate and still a bit conservative (the article described the oil was still good after the car indicated an oil change was required).

Picking a number (1,500 miles, 3,000 miles or any other number) is not the best use of limited resources today. Our Explorers (like many cars) have a very Intelligent system to indicate when an oil change is required. The system takes into account mileage, temps, type of driving, and likely 100s of other variables.

I trust the technology in my Explorer, when it tells me to change the oil, I do so. It is my opinion that the mileage number on the sticker is a sales pitch to sell oil changes and extra stuff. I beleive that mileage number's primary intent is not to ensure my truck last longer.

Tom,
I thought about putting it under the center like I do with the '02 but I went under the strut bolts and then put a jack stand just forward of that. That brought the tires off the ground slightly. Wouldn't be enough to rotate them though. Yeah, I saw your post from earlier. Good info.

Dirty as hell. I put a hard 1k on it though after the first 600. Went to Scotland and back. All highway.

Yeah, yeah. Must be nice to be back in the States where you can take advantage of that. Don't have such luck in the UK. If I was back in Kansas it would be free....

When to get first service?

Hello,
I got an email from my dealer today that I was due for my 5,000 mile service.

Questions:
- How often do I need to get the oil changed? I know the explorer has an oil sensor but it has not alerted me that I need service.

- Do I wait for the car to tell me I need service? Should I do it on a regular interval?

Thanks! I had an Audi before and I only serviced it every 10,000 miles. What is the recommendation for this car?

Read the back area of your manual, where it talks about scheduled maintenance.

Not much is required, really.

Read your "oil life" idicator on your left side LCD. I'm changing the oil about every 6-7,000 miles with full synthetic. Just had my 3rd oil change done about 1 hour ago. Did the first one at the 1,000 mile mark. Then again at about 7,000 and today at just under 14,000 miles.

Spark plugs are good for 100K
Radiator Fluid is good for 100K
Trans Fluid is good for 150K

Cabin filter is at 20K
Seat filters are at 30K
Engine filter is at 30K

uscrules1, you could get your oil changed earlier if it fits your schedule better. Your Explorer is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM). Based on your driving, the IOLM will display a message when your vehicle needs an oil change. I found the following details in the 2011 Explorer Owner Guide on page 417:

“For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster chapter.
If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km) from your last oil change.”

You can also perform a System Check to see what the current oil life is (see page 26 of the Owner Guide).

If you don’t already have a digital copy of your Owner’s Manual, you can download the full version for free: Go to Owner.Ford.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and select 2011 Explorer from the drop down menus.

Cory

Thanks!

Cory,
Thanks for the reply! That is helpful and I will wait until I see a notice in the instrument cluster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back