Oil Change interval | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Looks convenient, but for me there's too much risk involved with the lack of security&simplicity compared to a standard drain plug. You can get really good at hitting the drain bucket. For starters place it so that one edge of the drain pan is just under the drain plug with the far edge away in the direction the oil shoots out. The first time you do this be ready to make a quick adjustment on the drain bucket's position. Wear nitrile gloves. Have plenty of paper towels or old rags available. On the filter-Back it off just enough to let the oil dribble out past the seal and return to completely remove it about 10 minutes later.

On flat ground you can't even wheel yourself under your Ex. Do you really think someone is going to crawl underneath and empty your oil in a parking lot? These have been used for years on so many vehicles from so many forums that I am on. It is a very well known and quality item and makes oil changes a breeze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odds are if someone planned on draining your oil out of your Explorer they are going to take a wrench with them to unscrew the plug anyway or they are going to punch your oil pan. So security is of little concern.

If you are worried about them opening up while driving they have clips that lock into the valve that will prevent it from opening anyway that you can purchase or you can use a simple hose clamp.

As for the valve itself, I am coming close to 200,000 miles on a Ford 7.3 diesel truck with one on with zero problems with it. And this truck isn't just a highway queen, it has seen more than its share of off roading.

Odds are if someone planned on draining your oil out of your Explorer they are going to take a wrench with them to unscrew the plug anyway or they are going to punch your oil pan. So security is of little concern.

If you are worried about them opening up while driving they have clips that lock into the valve that will prevent it from opening anyway that you can purchase or you can use a simple hose clamp.

As for the valve itself, I am coming close to 200,000 miles on a Ford 7.3 diesel truck with one on with zero problems with it. And this truck isn't just a highway queen, it has seen more than its share of off roading.
Also, with the air duct covering the drain plug, it is somewhat protected from direct contact with road debris and rocks.

On flat ground you can't even wheel yourself under your Ex. Do you really think someone is going to crawl underneath and empty your oil in a parking lot? These have been used for years on so many vehicles from so many forums that I am on. It is a very well known and quality item and makes oil changes a breeze.

I see my concern with that drain plug was misunderstood. I'm not worried about someone draining my oil. It's the fact that there's a mechanism involved that can fail. But to each his own and if you've had good luck with them that's great. Just not for me.

If you ever look at one and hold it in your hand you will understand why the probability of it failing is not a factor.

In my original posting, I had a 2007 Explorer. Now, with the 2014, I go until the "Oil change Required" light comes on (about 8-10K)

I see my concern with that drain plug was misunderstood. I'm not worried about someone draining my oil. It's the fact that there's a mechanism involved that can fail. But to each his own and if you've had good luck with them that's great. Just not for me.

Ah.. got ya. As you stated, I took it more of someone messing with the vehicle rather then a failure. But as the poster stated above this reply, they are very heavy duty and I've yet to see 1 person every post that they have failed.

But I understand your point.

In my original posting, I had a 2007 Explorer. Now, with the 2014, I go until the "Oil change Required" light comes on (about 8-10K)
Nice to see a post back on the topic subject.:D

They said the oil was perhaps good to 10k miles. Besides the short life left in the oil, the metals, viscosity, etc, were close to the previous samples.

Well I would hope so. If finding big differences it would be a problem.

The sad thing is that by the time that you crawl under your vehicle to make sure that everything is in place you might as well of done the oil change yourself.

Put a mirror on a stick

Changed our O&F a couple weeks ago at 2500 miles. Oil monitor was at 76%. Oil was pretty darn black. Changing again at 5K then every 5K. Easy oil change. Take off the cooling duct and the filter and drain plug are right there. The 3 duct attachment fasteners are not difficult to deal with at all. I use "Race Ramps" which gave me plenty of room to do the change easily.

The color of the oil is no indication on if it needs to be changed or not. If it was then my diesel would need to be changed every 1000 miles.

The color of the oil is no indication on if it needs to be changed or not. If it was then my diesel would need to be changed every 1000 miles.

If it was a diesel I wouldn't have been concerned. I've worked on diesels before, and you just open the hood and you've got black sooty crap all over you. Maybe I'm just old school, but after 45 years of working on cars, trucks, and motorcycles when the oil is black on a new engine with only 2500 miles, I'm changing it.

If you are really concerned about it you need to send in a sample and get it analyzed and see what it is doing. Odds are they would of told you that it was just fine and that it could of went another 7500 miles easily.

If you are really concerned about it you need to send in a sample and get it analyzed and see what it is doing. Odds are they would of told you that it was just fine and that it could of went another 7500 miles easily.

Not concerned that anything is wrong with the engine. And sending the oil off for testing like you suggested would most likely say it was fine. But for $40 and an hour of my time, I'm going with my sooner and more often than recommended intervals.:)

At 30k miles a year, I’ll put the $120 and 3 hours in my pocket.

Some I do and some I don’t. I have a 2004 and 2007 well beyond 200k. Just sold 1999 last year with 260k+. 2012 with 130k, 2014, 2016 and a 2017. I change the oil based on miles not years. Each to their own preference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some I do and some I don’t. I have a 2004 and 2007 well beyond 200k. Just sold 1999 last year with 260k+. 2012 with 130k, 2014, 2016 and a 2017. I change the oil based on miles not years. Each to their own preference.
I don't even care about the mileage anymore and go strictly by the OLM, which puts me at two oil changes a year; based on my driving habits.

Back