Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Oil Change interval

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Bill #5 Explorer, February 9, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    The same engineers who designed the PTU with its pint of fluid that is good for life? Yeah, because those guys clearly know.....

All they care about is trying to ensure you get out of the warranty period.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Those same engineers who prescribed Mercon V as the proper fluid for transfer cases? Years later the TC failures made the engineers come up with a new XL-12 fluid especially for transfer cases, which apparently matches the old Mercon/Dexron III fluid.

Interesting yes, and the book was wrong, again. As I said, the manual is a guide, not an infallible absolute, simply a guide based on information at the time(past).

4. honky

honky New Member

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    What I've always worried about are the twin turbos that can really put a lot of heat on the oil. I don't flog the engine all the time but, do use the turbos for some fast starts from stoplights and wide open entrances onto the highway from about 30-40 mph on the ramp. With my forced air mods on the air chamber (see air intake-from where?), I do spin the thing right up there near red line often enough to think about that heat. Run 93 premium and like the way it performs. Never checked the mileage as the way I drive--it will be low and I don't care. So, I've been doing the changes at 5K or so. I buy'em and drive them off the dealer lot. Then 14-15 years (or more), later, when they are not worth fixing, winch them up on the ramp truck for the junkyard trip. I'm 77, have been a wrench since I was 14, so, yes, I remember the old days when we would build a high performance engine and run it down the road for about 30 miles on break-in oil and then change the oil and filter. And then, change it again at about 500 miles. You would not believe the amount of metal that would be stuck to the magnetic drain plug. In closing, it's whatever makes you happy that's important here; whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever you think you should do. We're all different and most likely will have different opinions on this and everything else in life. Regards. Honky.

• Like Like x 2