Oil filter adapter w/coolant.. Normal or WTF is that?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil filter adapter w/coolant.. Normal or WTF is that?!

Tif0ez

Reaction score
City, State
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I've never seen the coolant and oil in the same locations except where required and this oil filter & coolant passage is strange to me..
I was preppin more of the v8 swap and found this, is this a factory part, or aftermarket, and its purpose..
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8 & has california emissions..

https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54525386_1232757893549586_8887222671926886400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=8082690a38173bcb5abfbeff36dca44b&oe=5D032E7D
https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54408489_1232757886882920_6313073992034942976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=19e3f87180b4f506646a551f06f91745&oe=5D0DFDD2

This is the most strange set up I've seen.. I assume that this might have been made for colder climates, or is the operating temperatures of the engine oil higher than the 180-200 that the thermostat keeps the coolant at or above..

And the last question I have is should I keep this set-up or grab a "normal" elbow if one exists??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the oil cooler which was installed on the earlier 302's. Around Ford changed a few things, like removing that cooler, down grading the radiator to a single row thin model, changing the oil pan from AL to steel, and eliminating the oil pan sensor that signaled when the oil was low etc. If the cooler works properly, it's a good thing IMO.

Both versions of the oil filter block adapter require the same two o-rings. Replace those o-rings when you can, this old they are hard and can leak.

Oil cooler suggests that the oil operating temps are higher than that of the coolant.. If my brain is firing on all cyl tonight, this unit should also keep a better "even temp" across the engine..
Makes sense, gonna have to inspect the unit and find o-rings for it, and spares to toss in the "roadbag" if it is still solid..

Thanks for the 5.0 lesson.. Any opinions on taking the time to find the alum pan, if it is worth it? Honestly I am not sure what is on my donor, I am now leaning on finding one because of our road salt winters, but if they are worse somehow, please tell me.. I'm thinking a difference in clearance in the pan for the oil pick-up, or different splash baffles, or etc..

I hope to grab the fuel rail and injectors at some point today, so I'll keep an eye for these units and the alum pans..

Get rid of that thing
96-97.5 engines had this oil cooler mounted to the lower radiator hose
98-01 engines removed this
It is not needed and when the get older (like they are now) they can develop internal leaks = a place where water can get in your oil!

To remove it you can simply run the 98+ style oil filter mount and lower hose
Or you can install a oil filter re location kit and remote mount your filter

wpumpinstalled-jpg.205164

Part you need to replace it:
99oilfilter.jpg

You need the aluminum housing/mount and the long bolt that goes into the engine, as well as the 98+ lower hose

Funny while googling this topic several of my old pictures show up all over the internet :p

Get rid of that thing

wpumpinstalled-jpg.205164

Part you need to replace it:
99oilfilter.jpg

You need the aluminum housing/mount and the long bolt that goes into the engine, as well as the 98+ lower hose

Funny while googling this topic several of my old pictures show up all over the internet :p

Amen. Replacing that short, 30 degrees or so molded hose between the cooler & water pump is a MFPITA.

The early versions of the coolers came out in the mid 80's, and the 93 Cobra I think had that option too. There were some reports of internal leaks in some, but no data on what percentage had issues. I've got two and plan to use them on two of my Explorers. The oil usually will run temps of 230 or more, and coolant of course is 180 or more normally. So it can help, if the cooler works properly.

There is also an FMS adapter to rotate the filter any angle, and I think that will also fit, plus allow for the larger FL1A filter. That I'm going to try on my Mountaineer some day. R&Ring the adapters from the block with everything in place, is hell. To mount the version with the cooler, the water pump has to come off also(and go on last, with the short hose).

the two pans are functionally the same, except for the oil level sensor in some. If you don't have that wiring in your engine harness, than there's no need to get the pan with sensor in it.

You can mount it without removing the waterpump, its a pita but it can be done
Use lots of vaseline on the hose and it will slip into place
I have had ONE cooler in all these years that failed internally and was leaking water into the oil, truck had over 200K miles on it and it was a 96
I remove them, you would be far better off using a good oil filter re location puck (like Canton Racing) and remote mounting the filter, gives you a good place to plumb a cooler and oil pressure gauge also.

Back