Oil filter leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
When I start my truck (96 explorer xlt with the 4.0) it leaks oil like crazy. I went to tighten the oil filter and it was tight but the filter and the bracket that it gets screwed onto moved. It seems like the bolt that hold the bracket on might be loose? Mind you it's 6 degrees out and with the windchill it's -11 so i can't really get under there and play around with it to figure out what it is. Has this happened to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See Similar Threads on the bottom of this page, or search "oil filter adapter leak" in this stock 95-01 sub forum.

Oil filter leak?

Could it be that when oil was changed, old gasket stuck to surface, so that now you have double gaskets and a big leak?

Just a possibility. This would be an easy fix... Just take off the filter, and one of the gaskets.

Good luck!

Just a thought

Anyway, the first time I had a gasket stuck to the surface, it seemed to me that the bracket was the problem. And it pumped oil all over the place. I really thought the bracket was loose, but the play was caused by the double gasket. Big mess, but easy fix.

Good luck!

Anyway, the first time I had a gasket stuck to the surface, it seemed to me that the bracket was the problem. And it pumped oil all over the place. I really thought the bracket was loose, but the play was caused by the double gasket. Big mess, but easy fix.

Good luck!

I just got under there and to take a better look and when I grabbed the oil filter to move it around I also saw the bracket moving with it. So it isn't a double gasket like I was hoping. Any tips on how to fix this? I really don't want to have to bring it to the mechanic

Back