1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Oil filter question

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by geojag, September 9, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. geojag

geojag New Member

City, State:
    Arkansas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    The short version: My truck does not use a filter that I can find called for on an Explorer of this vintage. It uses a __8a filter, not the __2 filter that pretty much everyone says it should use. I can't figure out why.

A longer version: I bought my 2002 Explorer from an individual who said that he was told the engine was replaced prior to him buying it. It didn't show up on carfax, so I didn't really believe that. It was cheap, and it runs great, so I bought it.

Fast forward to yesterday. Time for an oil change. I went by Walmart and picked up the oil and the filter. The filters listed were all __2, I got the Fram XG2. Well, went to put it on and the threads were way too large. I look at the old filter and it was a __8A. I looked all over and can't find that filter being used for an Explorer of that generation. There is a tag on the engine that has the following information:

2G 966 AA
    Made in Cologne Germany
    Auto FFV
    09/07/01
    as well as bal 266 and a barcode.

This would seem to be the original engine since the tag on the door shows the manufacture date as being 09/01.

Any theories on why this engine doesn't use the standard oil filter?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  4. geojag

geojag New Member

City, State:
    Arkansas
    2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thanks for the information.
    I am surprised the engine being replaced didn't show on carfax, but I guess it is an older vehicle so that could have been done before electronic records were as common as they are now, and I guess it could have been done by an independent shop.
    It did throw a slight wrench in the oil change, but now I know.

5. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    A clean carfax tells you nothing. A bad carfax tells you what not to buy. Use it only to veryify bad vehicles, knowing that it doesn't tell you if a car is good.

Also, Fram is a 'crappy' filter. Not so much an opinion, but a fact. Just throwing this out there because so many people buy Fram because they see their advertising.