Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter issue

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by luckeymommy, December 26, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. luckeymommy

luckeymommy New Member

City, State:
      West Point, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 Ford Explorer
      My husband and I are having some issues with our Explorer. Apparently, the oil filter adapter threads are stripped. We have called a bunch of part companies in our area, and none of them have any idea what part we are talking about! This was the only "part name" we could find online. One guy said he thinks he knows what we are talking about, but he said its a part we can only order from the dealership.

In this particular case though, the oil filter wont go back on because of this piece and he starts back to work tomorrow. We need help quick, please!

If you know of another name for the part, or if you know what I am talking about and know where we can find one, let me know! :)

Thanks again.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      I've always called that the oil filter nipple and it is threaded into an oil filter adapter on the 4.0 ohv motor.

I "might" have one lying around here (entire adapter). Keep in mind, to change out the entire oil filter adapter you have to lift the passenger side of the motor so it can clear the frame and if you have headers they will get in the way too.

I am "pretty sure" the nipple will come right out of the filter adapter... I just don't know what size you need.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/oil-filter-nipples

~Mark

4. luckeymommy

luckeymommy New Member

City, State:
      West Point, CA
      1992 Ford Explorer
      I'll have to ask my husband when he gets back from the store. Makes it hard right now because the truck is being garaged about 30 minutes from our house. We had to borrow my father in laws car to get home from Christmas!

How will we know what size it is? Will it say?

5. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      You would probably have to pull the old one out, which will be a pain but you don't have to worry about screwing up the threads any more since we know what the threads are on the oil filter side (3/4x16tpi IIRC). Its the threads on the adapter side we need to figure out.

~Mark

6. 1995 Explorer

1995 Explorer New Member

City, State:
      Western Springs, IL
      95 XLT '97 XLT '97 Mounty
      I believe the technical name for the piece that screws into the adapter is an oil filter bung. To remove you will need an appropriatly sized wrench, preferably with a long handle so you can get enough torque.