Oil Found In Air Filter | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Found In Air Filter

Can a Ford Representative help me? I definitely tried to get this issue fixed when I had the burning oil smell, and I was told it was normal. Then when I tried to get the filter replaced under the maintenance plan when I had warranty but they didn't even look. I am sure this is the reason why I still have fumes coming into the cabin after acceleration. A valve cover replacement sounds like a tedious job, otherwise, I would have done it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can a Ford Representative help me? I definitely tried to get this issue fixed when I had the burning oil smell, and I was told it was normal. Then when I tried to get the filter replaced under the maintenance plan when I had warranty but they didn't even look. I am sure this is the reason why I still have fumes coming into the cabin after acceleration. A valve cover replacement sounds like a tedious job, otherwise, I would have done it myself.
To make sure Ford Service sees this, send them a PM.

Peter

Good idea, jrmexplorer; be sure to let us know how your trip to the dealer goes. :thumbsup:

Crystal
Good idea, jrmexplorer; be sure to let us know how your trip to the dealer goes. :thumbsup:

Crystal
Hello Ford Service Rep and Explorer Forum Members -- We have a 2011 Explorer Limited with the 3.5L V6 and currently (today!) have it in the service department at our local dealership, Sunset Ford of Sumner, for the issue of oil on the engine air filter. Our issue is exactly what appears in the photos by another member on page 5 or so of this thread -- oil moving from the front/left valve area through the tubing into the air box. My dealership, like others, has reported not hearing about this before. I've provided them links to the service advisory info, etc. posted on this thread -- thanks members! Our vehicle is not under warranty, so I'm concerned about the cost of service for this known issue that resulted in a re-design. Any remedies available?? thank you! Marcus

Hi. What are the steps for sending a PM? thanks so much.
The Ford reps were pulled from all the Forums on January 31st with no explanation. The only advise I can give is to try the contact options they showed on their posts.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

FYI, one way to send a PM to anyone on the Forum is to just click on their username in the margin and then select Start a Conversation in the pop up screen.

Peter

The Ford reps were pulled from all the Forums on January 31st with no explanation. The only advise I can give is to try the contact options they showed on their posts.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
Thank you.
That's odd that they abruptly departed the Forum! Well, I just heard back from the dealer SA and he said they couldn't find anything on the redesigned valve cover or the issue. Sigh. HE said they are reaching out to the regional rep. the repair quote is $450. I asked if they would be replacing it with the new/redesign valve cover and he didn't really seem to know. FRUSTRATED. Thanks for the reply.

i just saw this and have the same problem. i ordered latest valve cover
BR3Z-6582-R, which the parts rep at TASCA Ford said was the latest design. Do i also need to replace the PCV Tube with an updated one?

my non turbo 3.5 had this problem, it wasn't really an issue just a bit of a mess when you start taking things apart. If its not under warranty I wouldn't be concerned with it, its a small amount of oil over a long time usually.

My 2012 3.5L V6 with 57k mi has oil in the air intake tubes and on the leading edge of the filter media. My question is has anyone actually had the new left valve cover installed and did it resolve the issue? As I've read in other oil threads, the source could be to much oil in the engine, defective PCV, or a Factory valve cover issue, that has a replacement cover baffle modification. My main concern is that this condition never existed over the course of 55,000 miles and suddenly appears at 57,000 miles. I did have a recent oil change and the oil level is at the top max oil stick line. I've not seen any post that has actually had this issue and resolved it. Anyone out there that can confirm the valve cover repair?

I had the issue and the replacement fixed my issue.

My 2012 3.5L V6 with 57k mi has oil in the air intake tubes and on the leading edge of the filter media. My question is has anyone actually had the new left valve cover installed and did it resolve the issue? As I've read in other oil threads, the source could be to much oil in the engine, defective PCV, or a Factory valve cover issue, that has a replacement cover baffle modification. My main concern is that this condition never existed over the course of 55,000 miles and suddenly appears at 57,000 miles. I did have a recent oil change and the oil level is at the top max oil stick line. I've not seen any post that has actually had this issue and resolved it. Anyone out there that can confirm the valve cover repair?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

today I found oil when changing air filter. I am wondering is BR3Z-6582-R the only piece I need to replace ? Ford parts site seem to indicate this part # already include gasket.

My 2011 explorer 3.5 V6 now has 132KM, should I have this fixed ASAP or is this something small I don't have to worry about for a while.

I originally planned to have spark plug changed at 160K, would it be cheaper if I ask both spark plug and valve cover replaced at the same time

IMG_4519.JPG

Logic would seem to suggest that it would be less expensive to have both done at the same time, but if the dealer goes by the book time to do each, it may not matter. I'd check with them. As for the urgency of having this done, I'm not sure about that.

Peter

Just a follow up to my original post. My 2012 Exp. now has 75,540 Miles and I chose not to replace the valve cover as I was out of warranty and would have done it myself. I’ve not seen a noticeable increase in oil carryover into the intake filter or any oil close to the air intake Air Mass Sensor. The oil tends to settle out in the grooves of the intake tube flex joints. I see a little oil on the leading edge pleats of the air filter but nothing to warrant concern. At this point I’ll just remove the air intake tube and wipe clean once a year which is a good time to inspect/replace the air intake filter if needed. So my take on the oil carryover issue is, if out of warranty on your older explorers before Ford’s manifold baffle fix, no need to panic just keep an eye on it.

Хорошее здоровье! После 7 лет эксплуатации я заменил левую крышку клапана и проблема сразу исчезла. Мне нужно было отрезать трубу PCV для установки отстойника. Спасибо всем, кто раскопал эту проблему, помог определить номер заменяемой детали Привет из Украины!
Translation;
Good health! After 7 years of operation, I replaced the left valve cover and the problem immediately disappeared. I needed to cut the PCV pipe to install a sump. Thanks to everyone who unearthed this problem, helped determine the number of the replacement part. Hello from Ukraine!

Хорошее здоровье! После 7 лет эксплуатации я заменил левую крышку клапана и проблема сразу исчезла. Мне нужно было отрезать трубу PCV для установки отстойника. Спасибо всем, кто раскопал эту проблему, помог определить номер заменяемой детали Привет из Украины!
В итоге как проблему решил? Поменял клапанную крышку на 2й ГБЦ?

In the end, how did you solve the problem? Changed the valve cover on the 2nd cylinder head?

В итоге как проблему решил? Поменял клапанную крышку на 2й ГБЦ?

In the end, how did you solve the problem? Changed the valve cover on the 2nd cylinder head?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back