1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Leak from near filter?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by RammaR, December 15, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RammaR

RammaR Active Member

City, State:
      Franklin, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT 4x4
      I've got a slow leak from somewhere around where the oil filter arm connects to the block. I've done some searches and found comments about leaking valve covers but I don't think that's it as the leak doesn't seem to be any higher then the filter. I've tried really cranking down filter itself and it hasn't helped the problem. I may have added just a bit too much oil with the last change, but my pressure is riding in the normal part of the gauage.

Has anyone had a similar leak and know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mechanic021

mechanic021 Active Member

my 94 was leaking where the oil filter neck deal connects to the block itself. Its an o ring or something. I never replaced mine though cause it looked like the manifold had to come off to get to it so i never messed with it.

4. RammaR

RammaR Active Member

City, State:
      Franklin, TN
      '96 XLT 4x4
      ouch, that's what I was afraid you might say. I'm hoping somebody has a simplier way to fix it.

5. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      YES UNBOLT THE PASS SIDE EXHAUST MANIFOLD TO REPLACE THE O RING IN THE OIL FILTER ADAPTER :) (sorry for caps)

6. RammaR

RammaR Active Member

City, State:
      Franklin, TN
      '96 XLT 4x4
      sounds like a project for the holidays... thanks.

any idea if the o-ring is available from a local parts store like Autozone or if its a dealer part?

7. RammaR

RammaR Active Member

City, State:
      Franklin, TN
      '96 XLT 4x4
      Just a quick update, I was able to fix it yesterday. The O-ring was $3.85 from Ford, local parts stores don't have it. The original was a orange silicone seal while the new one was black - probably viton, maybe it will hold up better. Anyway, getting to the seal was the only hard part as I had to drop the "Y" pipe and pull the front tires. Here's a short step by step procedure:

1.) Drain oil and remove filter - good time for an oil change
      2.) Lift the front end and place on jack stands
      3.) Remove both front tires and pop-out fender skirts
      4.) Use a 15mm socket and several extensions to remove the 2 bolts that connect the Y-pipe to the exhaust manifold infront of the oil filter adaptor. You shoudn't have to loosen the manifold itself at all.
      5.) Use the 15mm socket to remove the 3 nuts that hold the lower Y-pipe section to the catalytic converter.
      6.) Use the 15mm socket and all of the extensions again to only loosen the 2 bolts holding the Y-pipe to the driver side exhaust manifold. This will allow enough play on the passanger side to reach the filter adapter.
      7.) Now going in through the passanger side wheel well use a 3/4" socket and a few extensions to remove the bolt that holds the oil filter adapter to the block.
      8.) Remove the old O-ring and clean the groove where it sits and the face of the block where it mounts to ensure the new seal seats properly.
      9.) Bolt everything back into place, I found it easiset to get the bottom of the Y-pipe back on the 3 catalytic converter bolts first then put back in the 2 bolts on the passenger side to reconnect it to the exhaust manifold and then finally re-tighten the driver side.
      10.) Finish up the oil change and you should be all set. No more annoying leak!

It took me about 4-hours total, but a good bit of that was spent trying to figure out how I was going to get at the adapter and remove the Y-pipe. I think I could do it again in about 1/2 the time.

Good luck.