Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Levels

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by mikevalora, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mikevalora

mikevalora Member

City, State:
      PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 XLT and 99 XLS
      About 3000 miles ago I had my oil changed, before doing this I noticed that the oil level was a little low, maybe about a pint or so. Took it to a Mobil Quick Lube, they did the change. A few days later I noticed that the oil level (on the dip stick) seemed to be a about 1 quart high. I never really thought about it, figured that they might have put too much oil in after the change. Well, 3000 miles later I did a oil change (with filter) added the 5 quarts that it has always taken and noticed once again that the oil level is high, about one quart over the full, according to the dip stick. I checked tranny and that is full, color is normal.......what could this be?

Thanks,
      Mike

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Could be like our '63 Galaxie.. I have a dented oil pan.. Makes the oil read high..

I don't remember if its possible on the Explorer dipstick (It doesn't look like it is on our '92 ).. But if the stick starts to slide out of the handle (e.g. the stick goes farther into the pan) it will read high..

Its a remote posibility..

~Mark

4. mikevalora

mikevalora Member

City, State:
      PA
      93 XLT and 99 XLS
      Thanks Mark,

I'll check the handle.....oil pan is in good shape.......anyone else?