Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Russell Bennett, October 12, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Russell Bennett

Russell Bennett New Member

City, State:
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012, Explorer & Limited
    Good Day Folks

My 2012 Explorer Limited 3.5L V6 has started to stall in the last 7 days when idling. It also nearly stalls under heavy braking and complete stop. When it stalls 'Low Oil Pressure' warning message appears.

The oil level and condition is fine.

I was going to start by eliminating possible causes, first being replacing 'Oil Pressure sensor'.

I located this last night tucked above the oil filter and A/C Compressor.

Could not see a way to change without removing A/C compressor, seems bit extreme for such a usually easy job.

Any advise from you good folk who have changed the Oil Pressure Sensor in the Past on a 2012 Explorer.

Thank you

Regards

Russ

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dawgpile

Dawgpile New Member

2012 Explorer XLT
    2012 XLT - Tried searching the forum and can't find much.

Need to replace my oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have experience with this? I looked at the diagrams on this site and I think I found the location, but before I break out the tools I would like to know if anyone has had issues or difficulties in changing. Any advice would be appreciated.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Good luck with the repair.

Peter

5. tadams19

tadams19 New Member

City, State:
    American Fork, Utah
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT

I am about to attempt this myself...were you successful? Any advice you can share?

6. tadams19

tadams19 New Member

City, State:
    American Fork, Utah
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT

Russ...Were you able to complete this? I was just under my Explorer trying to figure out how to replace the sensor, and feel there has to be an easier way then to remove the AC Compressor...After an hour of looking up from under my explorer I figured it was time to hit the internet. Any advice?

7. tadams19

tadams19 New Member

City, State:
    American Fork, Utah
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    I figured I would give an update on the thread as I completed the install yesterday. I searched the forum and other internet resources and didn’t find a good guide to replacing my the oil pressure sensor. It was pretty straightforward, once you come to the realization that you are going to have to attack it from the top. This took a while for me.

• Remove the air box and air cleaner assembly
    • Remove the 2 bolts holding in the radiator fan
    • Remove all the awesome plastic clips holding the wiring harnesses to the radiator fan
    • Remove the electrical plug on the radiator fan and pull it out.
    • Bungee the wiring harness and coolant hose toward the windshield, otherwise you will fight them as you move forward.
    • Shrink your hand and squeeze it next to the alternator and remove the clip from the oil pressure sensor
    • Hire a contortionist to get a ratchet with a 21mm or 13/16th socket on the sensor and back it out. (Oil will leak out so have a pan in place under the a/c compressor)
    • Put the new sensor in and reverse the steps above.
    Don’t forget to tip the contortionist!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mishtar

Mishtar Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I know this was a year ago but did anyone else complete this job and if so was there any easier way? How long did it take you would you say Tadams19? I am hoping this is the issue I am having. My light came on yesterday, I changed the oil and filter but it still comes on, if I accelerate it goes off but then a few seconds later it comes on. I am assuming it is either the pump or the sensor but I have no clue and the Sensor seems like the least expensive fix to try first.

Don

9. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Still driving that 2011 eh Don? FYI, tadams19 was last active here almost a year ago when he made that post.

Peter

10. Mishtar

Mishtar Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Hey Peter, yeah I might as well now, it would not be worth more than 1k to trade in and it drives great, I have about 190k kms on it now and the only large issue was that damn PTU. Well, that and the paint that started bubbling 1600km's after the warranty ended:( I keep it in great shape so I figure I may as well drive it until it dies someday as long as it does not start costing me too much to maintain it. How are you liking your new 2017?

11. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    Haven't had to change that sensor yet, so can't offer anything on if the above explanation is gtg. Did you call a dealer or local indy shop and ask what they would charge to change the sensor for you?

Did you check to see if the vehicle had any codes? Have you had your oil pressure checked manually to verify actual oil pressure?

Oil pressure issues can be caused by more than just pump and pressure sensor. Could be bearings. Could be a leaky vvt solenoid. Could be oil/filter related.

Good luck and hopefully it's just a failed sensor.

12. Mishtar

Mishtar Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Thank you for all of that info, I am having it looked at tomorrow so hopefully, the mechanic will check all the options.

13. Mishtar

Mishtar Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    There were no codes, the light just comes on and goes off. I will have to have the oil pressure checked, I was just hoping it is the easy fix, I had no issues until yesterday on my way to work when at the end of my trip it came on. After work I had forgotten about it and I drove home and again at the end of my 30km driver it came on. I went and had the oil changed and they did not see anything, however, after they changed the oil the light came on and off more often on my way home so I took my wife's car to work today, I don't want to hurt it anymore then I might have already.

14. mcpcartier

mcpcartier New Member

City, State:
    SoCal
    2013 Ex Limited 4WD

This was very helpful.....I was trying to figure out the best approach....went with this and had the sensor changed in about 2 hours. I thought it'd take a lot longer.

My problem was oil started leaking straight through the sensor?? It was quite the leak.....just streaming through it like it was supposed to happen.

I had done an oil change last week....maybe I slightly overfilled...but I don't think so.

Double/triple checked my oil level now....it's good. Hopefully this was a fluke and won't happen again....but annoying.