• Register Today It's free!

Oil presure issue at idle.

me4_play

Reaction score
City, State
Atascadero, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' XLS
The top end, ie the lifter assembley upon start up makes a horrible sound, at idle, it klatters so much it sounds like a diesl and the oil presure gauge quivers. It is definetly the top end making all that noise. Once I drive on the freeway it quiets down or if I keep the rpm's up at about 1000 things sound better. when I pull up t a stop light, at times it starts its noise and presure problem. This has been going on for about 8-12 months off and on & it's getting worse. It has 171,000 miles on it and I had been told by my mechanic friend that it was about to expire and there wasn't much that could be done. "Keep your cell phone handy and start saving for a new car". I don't have any money any more.
NEWS FLASH ***This Morning on a hunch, I over filled the oil by 2 quarts and all noise stopped. The oil presure went back to normal and I drove it to work. It acted and sounded better than it has for a year!
This leads me to think that the oil pick up tube is cracked, leaking or something along those lines. What do you think?

Back