1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Oil Spot

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Billabong02, December 22, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Billabong02

Billabong02 Active Member

City, State:
      Seaford, DE
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      Today i went to the oil spot to get my oil changed. Everytime i go there they tell me that i need to change the same things.... Transmission, front diff., rear diff. and transfer case. My car has 122,000 and i had both the diffs. changed at 110,000. I did the transmission at 88,000, and i have never done the Transfer case. Are they just trying to rob me or do these this things really need to be looked at?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Your gettin jacked around, run like hell if they bring out a tube of KY jelly :D

4. svande8952

svande8952 Active Member

City, State:
      Prescott, AZ
      '94 Sport
      The diffs don't need it, the tranny I think needs it every 60k, so you're good there. The t-case might not be a bad idea if you plan on using it and it has never been changed.

5. 97BlackX5.0

97BlackX5.0 Active Member

City, State:
      Scipio, Indiana
      97 X XLT AWD
      if they dont know youve changed this stuff already there probably just trying to be helpful.....if they do know there probably trying to take advantage... transfer case is worth doing... takes a few minutes and about a quart maybe a quart and a half of fluid...

6. Billabong02

City, State:
      Seaford, DE
      1998 XLT
      What tests do these people do to check the diffs.? And if it was just done wouldn't it pass that test? The transfer case...i hate to admit it but i really don't know what that does (transfers power from back to front?). I guess i would have to take it somewhere to have it changed. They are also good at leaving the caps for the air on the tires loose so when you drive away they fall off.

7. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

EVERY 'quick change' oil place I've ever used (Fleet trucks)....regardless of vehicle, has also found that I was a 1/2 quart low on oil.....Hmmmm?

8. Billabong02

City, State:
      Seaford, DE
      1998 XLT
      Funny isn't it? Forgot to mention that they found i was 2 quarts low on coolant....but he only charged me for one.......he wispered it to me like it he'd given me an oil change for free or something. 2 quarts only costs $2. Looking at the paper now why if there was something wrong do they put OK for the status?

9. alexefron

alexefron Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, NY
      93 XLT
      most of the people who work at instant oil change places are idiots.

once i saw one of their people was smoking on top of someones engine while changing the oil.

they also consistantly overpressure the tires on my moms car, after checking the recomended pressure (26 PSI), and asking if thats what we would like, consistantly fill them up to 36+psi.

10. Lee S.

Lee S. Active Member

City, State:
      Northport, NY
      '98 XLT
      The worst is when they cross thread the oil drain plug....screws up the whole oil pan....happened to me on a previous car....never went back to a quick lube place again. Of course now I have a fumoto oil drain which makes it a hell of a lot easier to do it yourself.

Lee