OK, how do I make this thing go FASTER? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, how do I make this thing go FASTER?

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I think the right word to describe the V6 Explorer's performance is "adequate". It's pretty good for the average person's average driving. Nothing to be dissatisfied about.

But do a lot of highway driving and sometimes, I'd just love some extra passing power. What are my options that
a) are completely reversible/removable in the future
b) don't alter the general appearance of the car
c) affordable
....all at the same time? ;)

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding the Magnaflow Cat Back with a K&N Drop in filter seemed to give me a little extra "Zip" although it's nothing earth shattering.

Wonder if you could make the F-150 V6 Ecoboost turbo system work on the Explorer?

Wonder if you could make the F-150 V6 Ecoboost turbo system work on the Explorer?

"Work"? ... certainly. You'd just need the parts/plumbing, and ECU from the F150 donor.

But will all those extra parts FIT under the Ex's hood as is?... probably not (without major modifications.)

That said, I'd pay $1000+ extra for the V6 ecoboost, but definitely not for the I4. I don't think I'll wait till the 2014 year to see if it becomes available though... a 2013 is in the works for wifey this spring :)

JDraper added more power to his by adding an additional mouse to the mouse wheel.

JDraper added more power to his by adding an additional mouse to the mouse wheel.

And that power disappeared last night. Scratch 1 rodent...

Greg, to meet your 3 criteria I can only think of one solution that would add much power. Nitrous Oxide. Expensive to use except for the occasional drag run but it does meet your criteria.

"Work"? ... certainly. You'd just need the parts/plumbing, and ECU from the F150 donor.

But will all those extra parts FIT under the Ex's hood as is?... probably not (without major modifications.)

That said, I'd pay $1000+ extra for the V6 ecoboost, but definitely not for the I4. I don't think I'll wait till the 2014 year to see if it becomes available though... a 2013 is in the works for wifey this spring :)

I am really surprised and disappointed that Ford didn't release a V6 EcoBoost engine in the Explorer. Aren't these engines the same as in the Flex? I would be all over a v6 EcoBoost version.

I am really surprised and disappointed that Ford didn't release a V6 EcoBoost engine in the Explorer. Aren't these engines the same as in the Flex? I would be all over a v6 EcoBoost version.

My guess is that they thought no one wanted the Explorer because it gas guzzled and only soccer moms would drive it to work. (The whole idea of an SUV was originally meant to be marketed towards women by the way) so instead they popped the 7 seats and only made the i4 ecoboost available.

Whatever it is, Ford really needs the V6 Ecoboost! It's like when they released the 95 Explorer with only a V6 and everyone wanted the V8 power. Hopefully someone from Ford is reading this and is preparing an Explorer with an Ecoboost V6 in the near future.

Possibly a turbocharger, supercharger install? There was a post about it months ago, any manufacturers available?

My guess is that they thought no one wanted the Explorer because it gas guzzled and only soccer moms would drive it to work. (The whole idea of an SUV was originally meant to be marketed towards women by the way) so instead they popped the 7 seats and only made the i4 ecoboost available.

Whatever it is, Ford really needs the V6 Ecoboost! It's like when they released the 95 Explorer with only a V6 and everyone wanted the V8 power. Hopefully someone from Ford is reading this and is preparing an Explorer with an Ecoboost V6 in the near future.

Possibly a turbocharger, supercharger install? There was a post about it months ago, any manufacturers available?
Funny thing is the Flex with the Eco-Boost get's about the same mileage in "real world" driving as the regular V6 in the Explorer. And after testing the Eco-Boost 4, no way, thing is lethargic when loaded with people and barely adequate with one person on board (look at 0-60 times, it's barely quicker then the old ohv V6 trucks lol). And talking to an owner on our street, his reported mileage is not much better then what people are getting on the V6's. Just look at on here, people reporting decent numbers then say something like driving at 55-60 mph", I don't know what highways their on, but do that here or any other highway I've been on and you'll get rammed off the road by a Semi or other vehicle lol. Friends 11' Limited got about 22-23 mpg at 70-75 on a trip to Orlando. My V8 truck get's almost that (usually between 21 and 22 mpg) at those speeds on the highway granted it has a few mods but still...

If Ford offers the Eco-Boost 6, since the Flex is going away, then that would be a great combination of performance and economy. Ever drive an Eco-Boost Flex? Absolutely effortless power everywhere.

I bought this accessory to my Explorer last week to go faster :D

8c01c40c.jpg

5c146c0a.jpg

Much better option than trying to turn a cow into a racehorse... :D

I bought this accessory to my Explorer last week to go faster :D

8c01c40c.jpg

5c146c0a.jpg

Nice!!! I have a very similar set of accessories for increased performance

4156backinblack.jpg

66_mustang.jpg

Me likee the red one:)

66?

I had 2 68's and a 65.

Trade you one of my 6 kids ( or all) for it! :)

Back