ok- read for Off Road Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ok- read for Off Road Lights

Just got my "X" back from having the rockers panels replaced, they were rusted out.

Now I'm ready for 4 Off-Road Lights for the front Pre Runner Light Bar. The problem is I'm not sure which ones to buy. I don't want anything that's going to rust fast. I also don't want the most exspensive or the cheapest, just a good quality light that will last and hold up to the jarring of Off Roading.

any suggestion, thanks

Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good middle-of-the-road light is the Hella 500.

And I'm moving this to the lighting forum....

Agree w/ the Hella 500's. I have them and they are BRIGHT!!!! good price as well.

I put these on my daughters boyfriends *eep. They work & look good and you may get them for a good price. I have been happy with Catz quality.
Dead Link Removed
Good luck...

Sorry to say, I don't agree. I've had the 500's. The case, including where the mounting bracket attaches to it, is made of plastic! Mine cracked from offroad use, so I replaced the cases and they cracked too. Now I run KC Daylighters.:) Solid steel, twentysomething year guarantee, and talk about bright!!! Reasonable price, too, if you get the black ones.

i own a pair of hella 500s that i never put on..... i bought them used from leebo... he put on huge lightforce lights...... in talking to him, he said the 500s were a decent light but always had to be adjusted as they would not hold their positon off road... the mounts on them arent strong enough

hella sux

I would go with the daylighters, i have to agree that hellas are cheap plastic. I had two hella 500 on my old x and they broke from only a few trips out to the desert. i replaced them with KC's popular daylighters and they lived up to thier name. they are much stronger and look better ;)

Go with the Hella Rally HID lights. They're only $500 a piece, and they sure are pretty. :D

Ive got a pair of KC daylighters and theyre tough. I had them on my old truck and i hit a heep doing any where between 30 and 40 (my fault :(). Totalled the truck but the KC's where where mounted on my bumper survived. The bumper was so tweaked the lights where facing on another. Ive gotta get around to putting those lights on my new truck.

I'd also agree with the KC Daylighters. I have a set on my X and they're great. Combine that with a decent price and a 23 year unlimited warranty, and you can't go wrong.

I'm gonna go against the trend here.:) PIAAs are #1 for a reason. I have two sets of the 520 SMRs on the front bumper. Perfect for me but sucks for anyone in front of me on the trail. I also have several sets of misc. PIAAs in the garage. Everything from back-up lights to more 520s.

hey, if your interested in selling a set of those random misc lights youve got floating around your garage, i know a guy who might be interested ;)

I'm going to use what I want and sell the rest. I'll let everyone know what I have and what I don't have after winter is over with. All mods being done during winter!:)

alright, thanks

anyone got a suv light rack for sale? the one that goes over the top of the x? pls im in desperate need and do not wanna pay the 140 bones.. i will buy in almost any condition

I'd like some KC's, but how long to hook up?

How long would it take me to hook up a set of KC's? I have a stock bumper, so I'd probably have to drill a set of holes in the bumper. Is the wiring difficult to figure out?

yo-I haven't installed kcs, but it can't be that hard. It'll probly take you 1-2hours to do everything like drilling, mounting, wiring, etc. Let me know if you want some help. You should get these asap in case your headlights go out again:eek:

are you just going to drill and mount them on the bumper? if you do make sure to get some little steel brackets for the underside of the bumper so the plastic doesn't go all to hell and it won't vibrate out of position when off road. get some lock washers too. why not get a brush guard or safari bar to put the lights on? or get a light bar for the roof, or use the existing roof rack and reinforce it with a steel plate on the undersite and mount the lights there. would work great. seen it done before.

Back