old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer

Yes you can always remove a lift if you have the old parts/stock like to put on
Lug nut torque is 112 ft lbs, at least that's what I use on these 5 lug trucks it has been years since I actually looked up the spec
Lug nuts do not need to be 150-200 ft lbs like many people like to do

The auto hubs or manual hubs come right off with the wheel, that is how this design works

Nice work so far! I do not think you have "rear coils"....but lets see the pics!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you
Yes you can always remove a lift if you have the old parts/stock like to put on
Lug nut torque is 112 ft lbs, at least that's what I use on these 5 lug trucks it has been years since I actually looked up the spec
Lug nuts do not need to be 150-200 ft lbs like many people like to do

The auto hubs or manual hubs come right off with the wheel, that is how this design works

Nice work so far! I do not think you have "rear coils"....but lets see the pics!!
are right no rear coils front only there may be spacers under the rear leaf springs. but camera is in wife car i will post pics when she comes home.

ok
i will as soon as i find my camera. thanks the rear coils do look newer than the other stuff under there, as well as some shock like units under the front. I took off a front wheel and was amazed at how little effort it took to remove all the lig nuts. What is the correct torque? and the front auto hub just came off with the tire and wheel! isn't there something else supposed to be securing it? there also is a thin metal open ended cylinder with a backing plate also sticking out of the wheel hub hole surronding the hub? it is to lose and thin to be there for support. so it seems the wheel is LUG centered and supported? is this right? i'll post some pics ASAP. thanks, jmczzz
i am convenced, the correct way to go is to regear. Now I need to learn the simplest and lest expensive way to do that. thanks, jmczzz

The open ended cylinder might be your ABS sensor. Pics will help us ixentify everything

the open ende cyl is probably the spindle there should be nuts and lock washer there in the back of the spindle there is another bearing and inside that is a funny looking seal
roscoe

the open ende cyl is probably the spindle there should be nuts and lock washer there in the back of the spindle there is another bearing and inside that is a funny looking seal
roscoe
thanks but i think they are to take up space in the center wheel hole and the trucks auto hub. the wheels measure from the outside almost 10 inches wide and the center hole is approx 3.5 diameter. the lugs take all the weight and centering effort. jmczzz

1st gen stock wheels are Lug centric.

Most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric, and rely on centering with acorn lugs, and some use thick washers on deep lug bodies, such as old school Mag Crager wheels, to center them.

Yours are aftermarket wheels, and you have 3.5" opening, so they are 1/2"-20 Lug centric.

1st gen stock wheels are Lug centric.

Most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric, and rely on centering with acorn lugs, and some use thick washers on deep lug bodies, such as old school Mag Crager wheels, to center them.

Yours are aftermarket wheels, and you have 3.5" opening, so they are 1/2"-20 Lug centric.
thank you, there is a lot for me to learn and understand about this truck. jmczzz

IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg

you guys will have to ask me about these pics cause I don't know what these parts are stock or aftermarket. I do apreciate all comments and discussion about them. I would like to know what I have.
thank you, jmczzz

That is a Rough Country 4" suspension lift.

The hubs are the OEM automatic hubs (think about replacing with manual)

Ideally, the rear swaybar end links need to be longer.

Otherwise, check the gearing, replace the speedometer gear to correct the speedometer reading and drive the heck out of it.

Actually, one of those hubs looks like the internals have been removed (the clean one).

Actually, one of those hubs looks like the internals have been removed (the clean one).
IF u mean the pic of the two, the one the piece of wood points too is the ring like spacer that surronds the actual autohub. see the pic of the assembled wheel with tire, hub and the surround spacer thing all installed. I thought it was unusual but it looks ok just needs cleaning up. the hub is not packed with old hard grease as i read in some of the old post. it looks to me like sombody was servicing them. thanks, jmczzz

That is a Rough Country 4" suspension lift.

The hubs are the OEM automatic hubs (think about replacing with manual)

Ideally, the rear swaybar end links need to be longer.

Otherwise, check the gearing, replace the speedometer gear to correct the speedometer reading and drive the heck out of it.
how do i do that? get longer ones and install? do you have a scource and what sizeo i need? good infor about the 4" lift. is it the coil springs and the strut? the colil is approx 14 inches top to bottom. thanks, jmczzz

OOoh I like this truck. I like those wheels I would keep them.
It is a standard 4" drop bracket lift kit, nicely done it looks to be properly installed
You NEED to remove those auto hubs and replace them with manual hubs, that would be my first "mod"

Next count the rotations so you know what gears are in your diffs!!! We must know!!

Next time you do brake job on the front replace those slide pins they look to be 1994
Can you get a picture of the back of the leaf springs, right below/front of the rear bumper? I want to see if you have lift shackles in the back

here are the back of leaf springs pis>
IMG_2478.JPG
IMG_2479.JPG

i got the front tires jack up off the ground and got under and turned the front axle. the pass side tire did not move (that;s the one I took off earlier for the lift pics before) the drivers side did turn. It seemed I could here clicking from the front diff. I could stop the drivers side wheel rotate the axle back and forth and it would click unlock sometimes, then I turned it in the forward direction and it turned the driver side wheel but not the pass side. I could stop it turning by holding or turnning the wheel backwards. I will try cleaning them both an lightly grease them to see if I can get them to work properly. I would rather not buy/replace with manuals at this point. Let me see what else comes up during the rest of the check out. There seemed to ba a lot of clicking coming from the front diff?

I will jack up the rear and COUNT THE DRIVE SHAFT REVS after lunch to get the gear ratio. thanks, jmczzz

Sounds like the front diff is working, you have an open front diff..the two tires/axle shafts work independently from one another
Clicking noises in the diff may or may not be normal, as you spin your axle shafts (halfshafts) from forward to backwards you should hear some clunking/thud noises
What you are looking for is excessive "slop" or play between the hubs and axleshafts, and the axleshafts to front driveshaft and back to the t case.
The hubs should auto lock the wheel to the axle shaft as soon as you start moving the axleshaft inside the auto hub.
If it does not engage, then the hubs are likely bad.
You can get manual hubs, and hardware at the junk yard, many Rangers and some explorers came stock with them. Plus over the years, many, many people convert to them so they show up in the JY often.

I can't wait to see what gears you have, its like being tuned into your favorite show...."on this episode project old guy sport, we finally reveal the gear ratios!"
I want to know how long shes been running around with 33" tires and 3.27 gears OR if they did the right thing and re geared.......so far it seems like your still stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i forgot to mention the front tires are more worn on the inside thread than the middle and outer threads. I think I can see when the lower part of tire in contact with ground the top of tireappears to beat an angle toward the engine. isn't that toe in or out? did I read somewhere there are some shims or something that can be installed to correct that? oh and i took a nap after lunch. so one more day before the great drive shaft turning and wheel rev count. sorry, we old guys gotta nap, isn't that why recliners were invented? ... jmczzz

Back