1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Old PS2 Problems?!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by clarkkent, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. clarkkent

clarkkent Well-Known Member

City, State:
      san luis obispo, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      McNeil Mountaineer
      anybody here have a old playstation2? Mine has been taking a dump on me lately. It hasn't been playing blue disc's and will take forever to read a disc. Now i'll have to eject the cd numerous times to finally get it to read. anybody know a solution i can do to revitalize my ps2? I've thought about using a cd cleaner inside. I really don't want to invest 150$ into getting a new ps2.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. emon

emon Active Member

City, State:
      Queens, New York
      I walk. :-) ...'95 xlt
      Have you checked their web site forum? This seems to be a common but easy to fix problem with PS2. Next time around get X-Box. ;)

4. BeauJ

BeauJ Moderator Emeritus

I was in the same boat for a while when I put disc in while it was standing up. But when I lay it flat on the floor it works fine.

5. TheJMan

TheJMan Active Member

City, State:
      Scottsdale, AZ
      2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
      I had the same problem with mine. You basically have two options:

1) Call sony, tell them the problem, and see if they will fix it for you for free. This is a widespread problem, and I've heard that they will replace the lens for free, you just pay shipping.

2) Try to fix it yourself. I bought a DVD lens cleaner and used it on my PS2 and it worked well. You could also open up the PS2 and clean the lens manually.

If you decide to go with option 1, they might ask you if you have ever used DVD lens cleaners or third-party devices (mem cards, controllers, etc.). Even if you have, just say no, because if you tell them yes they won't fix it.

Good luck!

6. clarkkent

City, State:
      san luis obispo, CA
      McNeil Mountaineer
      thanks. i called sony and they're offering to fix it for free. i'm glad but now i'm out a ps2 for a couple weeks.

7. hiridin

hiridin Active Member

City, State:
      tx
      1998 ford explorer 4x4
      someone i work with was having all those problems and he blew it out with a air gun. said tons of dust came out. don't know how good it is to blow alot of air into it but it fixed it for him.

8. '92Bauer

'92Bauer Active Member

City, State:
      Mamaroneck,NY
      '92 Eddie Bauer 4X4 R.I.P
      We had a similar problem with our PS2, our fix was to take apart the system and clean the ribbon itself with rubbing alcohol, we had no ill effects and even did this on my friend’s ps2 and so far his is working like he just bought it. Try the air gun and see if that helps would be easier then taking it apart. Did a quick search and her is a little write up on the process.

http://www.g4techtv.com/xplay/features/45797/PlayStation_2_Disc_Read_Error_Fix_pg2.html

9. clarkkent

City, State:
      san luis obispo, CA
      McNeil Mountaineer
      hey watsup guys, i did some research and i guess "everybody" who owns a old ps2 has these problems. The ups lady at the store today "coincidentally" mailed her's out just a hour ago before me. Same place and same problems. hmm... i was thinking about buying the new slimline ps2 but those new ones don't support the Harddrive.