On my way to the Supercharger! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On my way to the Supercharger!

I'm probably posting this prematurely, but I'm so excited! It turns out I just got an infusion of cash, so I might be able to afford the supercharger! I have to somehow get my parents to approve and help out a little bit, but I think its very possible I could have it done by late January. I also have to determine if I can do it myself (with a little help), or if I need to have it professionally installed. I'll also need to get a larger MAS, so that's another $300.

So has anyone heard anything lately about the BBK supercharger? I know there was a big buzz a while back, and I even called truckperformance.com to see what's up. I'm gonna give them another call and ask them if they've shipped any, and if they're actually shipping on time.

So, anyone want to sponsor the first BBK-charged Explorer on this site? Rick, you wanna help ;) j/k. I'll keep y'all posted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I'll check out the links too.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Supercharged...

Just posting to keep in touch... Me to want to know how it all ends?

Eaton Supercharger for 2000 Ranger

There is a description of a project to install a MP62 Eaton Supercharger onto a 2000 Ranger 4.0 for a cost in the $2000-2500 range - apparently because the BBK supercharger system was not OK or something. BBK uses the Eaton unit so this installation description could be informative.
Dead Link Removed
Mike with 91 XLT in Seattle

Well, the blower's sitting in the back of my truck. I haven't peeked inside the box yet, but I'm going to tonight. I don't have the time or money to get a b4 dyno run, but I should be able to get an after. I'll try to take pics during the install, maybe we can post a review on the main page, or the sport truck page. It should be done by the start of next week! I can't wait!!!!!!!

I think we should call an Austin Explorer meeting to drool over Alec's truck.

That’s too bad you wont be doing a before dyno. I would love to know exactly how much HP and torque you get from that supercharger.

Well... he has basicly the same setup as me... and I have 141hp. So that can be our rough guide.

nick

I know, but it would be nice to see an actual before and after dyno. We'll have to assume he has 141 then. Anybody care to guess at the after HP?

I'll say 186 at the wheels. (assuming he does nothing other then install the supercharger)

BTW, the kit also came with a fuel pressure regulator, it's own "brain," and a boost/retard timing controller.

Originally posted by Alec
BTW, the kit also came with a fuel pressure regulator, it's own "brain," and a boost/retard timing controller.

Isn't the timing controlled by a replacement ECU or is there a "piggyback" computer?

From what I saw, the kit uses a piggyback computer. I didn't fully open it and peruse everything, though. But that's what it looks like.

Y'all said you wanted updates, so here's another:

Splat will be out of the dealer shop tomorrow. I'm not going to install the blower this week because I have to take a small road trip on Saturday. That way I'll see if everything is fine before I put the blower on. We'll start the install Monday morning. I'm actually going to pay someone to do it, I'll assist. That way I don't have to blame myself if something gets messed up. I figure the install fee is a good insurance investment.

Woohoo!

Sweet! Keep them updates coming!

I want one!!!

Excellent Alec, looks like things are moving ahead.

The 4.0 liter board has some install pics if your interested

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Pictures...

Alec I want pics for this upgrade, what I saw from SteveVB post is not good feeling, hope the guy made an error when installing the TB. Thanks

The photos referenced by Steve for the BBK supercharger installation apparently are for a 4 liter 1994 Ford Ranger as shown at
Dead Link Removed
There might be some differences in the wiring and layout between the Ford Explorer and Ranger. ???
Mike in Seattle 91 XLT 4x4

From what I've seen when I poked around under the hood, I shouldn't have many of those problems. I think the problem is that he has a 1994 and the install kit that he has says "97-98" install kit probably. I have a 96 and the invoice says 97-98 install kit, but I should be ok. That's what it looked like. I might have a problem with rubbing on some coolant hoses, but I'll just get longer hoses if I need to. There's so much room under my hood, it's not even funny.

Decisions, decisions...

I had decided to enlist the help of a professional mechanic to help with (and do most of) the install. However, he can't work me in until late January. I can wait that long to have it done right, can y'all? I am going to investigate, though, about other places that could do it.

Back