Only a fFORD owner would understand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only a fFORD owner would understand

Lug/Nut

Reaction score
City, State
woodland, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
i have a 4.0 ohv i warped the head and i have a choice to make.
1.rebuild engine(looked into it not very cost effective)

2.buy donor ohv and throw it in (boring) but easy

3. swap to sohc motor which i want to do but after reading some threads it seems like mucho work. so in a nutshell can anyone tell me what i would need besides the engine itself?

4. the 5.0 swap which tickles me pink to no end but i live in california and i cant get a straight answer out of anyone on whether or not it would be smog legal. could someone tell me that?

if you could give me some idea of which would be the best while staying california smog legal and a ballpark price of each swap i would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can swap Even in Cali!
THe only thing is the new engine cannot pollute any more than the original....
You have to go to a Referee Station or a BAR Where they will inspect and Aprove the smog certificate... The engine must be or appear to be the same year or newer.... If all is there, they will put an "Engine Identification"tag in the door jam. The "Engine Identification"tag is not mentioned on any registration papers or ownership papers. It is only on the vehicle. I have seen 5.0 in miatas and they passed smog!

Woodland is that out by SAC?

Personally Id buy a V8 explorer but Dont let me or anyone else stop u

a california v8 swap is possible, your best bet is a 97+ v8 from a explorer. as long as the motor is not older than the vehicle you should be able to do it. there is a v8 ranger owner on this forum from san diego so it is possible.

To do the swap you will need the computer & all the wiring form the donor Explorer.

But it would be sweet. I wish i would do the swap

V-8

I would go with the V-8. Aside from dropping the new engine in, you would have to do some exhaust work, possibly. It's definitely possible. The SOHC isn't bad either, but there is something about a V-8 that is so, so enticing.

Is the block shot?

Why not just get a set of used heads? Worst case have a shop rebuild 'em.

Kinda boring I know but most cost effective.

Most cost effective IMO is to buy a running take out 4.0L OHV from a alter model truck with low miles for $3-400 with a warranty and drop it in. You use your 91 computer and intakes, etc etc the OHV long block until 2001 should bolt in with a few minor modifications. You get a warranty (of sorts), a later model lower mileage 4.0L block, and still nocar payment! (this is how I have kept my BII going for 13+ years, buy running take outs) Used 4.0L engines are plentiful, it usually costs about $400 for around a 97-98 engine with 60-80K. The wreckers will usually give you a 90 day or even 1 year warranty on the running engine take out. It will cost you a bit more then that to tuen it up, sometimes seal it up, get some misc parts and fluids and drop it in. Good opportunity to go through the trans/clutch/etc while your in there....

The SOHC conversion is NOT for the faint of heart or budget impaired.
Advanced swap to get a SOHC in there and running, best bet using the 91 computer. This may be difficult to make CA emissions legal because if you have a SOHC under your hood they want to see SOHC emissions components. The only way I have seen the SOHC conversion done to date is by retaining the OHV computer, the SOHC under the hood of a Gen I truck is clearnace challenged.
I have more room around my V8 under the hood of my BII then a SOHC does under a gen I hood.
Brett put a 2004 Ranger SOHC into his 93 Explorer sport using the 93 computer. Truck is a 5 speed. He had to do ALOT of work to get the SOHC to fit and there are still two spots it contacts the frame I believe (he will fix)

Try searching for his thread on here

The 5.0L is a natural fit if you use the right parts.
Its completely CA emissons legal as long as you keep the 5.0L 91 or later, and retain all its emissions and controls ( you cannot do a carbed 5.0L in CA into a 91 Ex, it must be MAS, EFI, and have 02 sensors and cat converters)
Plan a budget and a timeline. PIck a transfer case you want to use if you are going 4x4 , then decide on the trans you want and this will help you determine what year of 5.0L and computer you have options too

I vote 98+ explorer GT-40p 5.0L conversion with OBD-II computer, 4r70w trans and a 4406 t case :)
Making the 4406 t case fit a gen I might be tricky, but there are options.
Mine cost about $6500 and took 6 months (waiting for more $$ for more parts), I had done several conversions prior. The wiring is a bit tricky for OBD-II conversion.

You can research this as well as there are MANY many many many many 5.0L conversions online into Rangers, BII's, and Explorers

Look at a couple of the 4.0 OHV build threads. You'd have something a little better than the stocker, but it would cost you much less. I think it's the best option for a more moderately modified vehicle. If you have a big budget, and want the most cool factor, definitely go V8. Check out Craeger's thread, and my thread (link below). Mine and Craeger's both have videos towards the end of the thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188502

thanx for all the responses big help. yes woodland is right by sac

Is the block shot?

Why not just get a set of used heads? Worst case have a shop rebuild 'em.

Kinda boring I know but most cost effective.

the reason i didnt do this is because the coolant rusted up my cylinders and on top of that the bottom end has around 200000 miles on it so im worried just r&r on the top end might only be a band aid for a few thousand miles

if your going v8 try to get an obd 1 v8 and use a vacume operated tranny with an electric shift t-case out of a full size bronco or convert to a manual t-case

Back