Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Only front brakes working

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cdt785, August 7, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. cdt785

cdt785 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 explorer sport
    Hi. I have a 2002 sport and I have been having all kinds of trouble with the brakes. I have replaced the master cylinder, rear brake pads and recently did the front wheel caliper on passengers side. seams like now, the rear brakes only work now and then, while the front always seam to work. I cant tell you how many times I have bled them. When I came home from work yesterday, I could smell the front brakes burning. When I bought the Sport...about 2 months ago, the back rotors looked like the were rusty,brakes not grabbing. Should I replace the rear calipers to? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    02 XLT V8
    The easist thing to do is to see if the rears even grab when spinning the rear wheels. Get the rears off the ground and spin them be hand and see if they brakes seem to apply. You can also check to see iff you have brake fluid flowing to the rears by having someone hold the pedal down and slowly crack the bleeder screw. Some possible causes;ear brake hose collapsed internally (from the rear axle to frame), stuck calipers, blocked brake line, blockage in theabs hydraulic unit.

4. cdt785

cdt785 New Member

2002 explorer sport
    Thanks Matt. It seams like I am getting fluid back to the calipers, but the flow when I crack the bleeder valve seams to be weak. Do you know if there's just a straight run from the abs block bac to the rear calipers,or does it go through some kind of valve? I did smell the front drivers side brakes burning after my ride home. Maybe that caliper is sticking and should be replaced too.As far as the back brakes go, sometimes they grab and the pedal is firm, sometimes there soft and pedal goes halfway down and truck kinda lunges.