Open diff to LSD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Open diff to LSD?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if I can install a limited slip diff in my 2000 XLT from a donor truck of the same year. It has an open differential at the moment, axle code 45. My friend's 04 Sport Trac has a D2 and that thing will power through almost anything in 2WD. I'm just wondering how difficult swapping from my current diff to an lsd would be. The local junkyard easily has anywhere from 5-10 second gen X's whenever I go, almost all 4x4. I'm doing a 4WD conversion this january with my brother in law who's a mechanic but I'd like to have an lsd as well. What parts would I need to pull from the junkyard? Also would a D4 or a D2 work best? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best bet is to swap the complete rear end, and the ratio has to match the front when you do the 4wd conversion. I would try to find a 4.10 setup if you plan on wheeling

best bet is to swap the complete rear end, and the ratio has to match the front when you do the 4wd conversion. I would try to find a 4.10 setup if you plan on wheeling

4.10 is the D4 right? Would that work better with my OHV than 3.73? I want offroad capability but also a daily driver. So as far as the rear axle goes I need everything from the driveshaft back?

In order to swap a differential (LSD) from one vehicle to another, you will need to reset up the gears. Which will likely cost $300 or more. Then an old LSD explorer differential will be worn out (clutch type). So you will need to reolace the clutches in the differential. That will be at least another $75 in parts. A better option would be to swap the entire axle. But you still have a worn out LSD.

If you are serious about offroading a lunch box locker is by far the best choice for you. But there are some disadvantages with locking the rear. Ther is lots of info on this site. Do some research and it will help you with your decision.

i think it would be much easier to just swap the entire diff, but the ratio has the to the same as your front diff, or you'd need to change the gear set, in which case you could only change the ring and pinion, but you need to know what you're doing to change the gears and set it up correctly.

In order to swap a differential (LSD) from one vehicle to another, you will need to reset up the gears. Which will likely cost $300 or more. Then an old LSD explorer differential will be worn out (clutch type). So you will need to reolace the clutches in the differential. That will be at least another $75 in parts. A better option would be to swap the entire axle. But you still have a worn out LSD.

If you are serious about offroading a lunch box locker is by far the best choice for you. But there are some disadvantages with locking the rear. Ther is lots of info on this site. Do some research and it will help you with your decision.

I looked into the aussie locker as it seems really simple. I just don't want it locking up all the time when I'm turning in the city, if I read the website right it locks whenever you step on the gas. Wouldn't that put more stress on the tires and make it more difficult to turn if it locks on pavement?

I can't remember the company name but there is a locker that's a limited slip for normal driving but you can lock it when you hit the dirt. And of course there's air lockers.
Limited slips are nice and all, but they really aren't that great for off road. More for driving in snow, on wet roads, and those kinda things.

I have an Aussie, and i cant tell its there unless im driving hard. When cornering under light throttle its like it isnt there, but if i get on it hard it locks like it should

I have an Aussie, and i cant tell its there unless im driving hard. When cornering under light throttle its like it isnt there, but if i get on it hard it locks like it should

I'm thinking aussie in the rear and a front diff that matches my 3.55, would my rear axle stay a 3.55 after I install an aussie? Sorry for all the questions.

A locker doesn't effect gear ratios

Back